Bring your immersion chillers inside folks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the temps dropping unless your IC is completely drained water will freeze, turn to ice and expand causing cracks in your copper tubing causing failure.

Consider this an PSA.

Mine stays indoors, in the basement.....but it's a good post! That time of year to winterize the power equipment, put antifreeze in the pumps, get your power washers and equipment batteries indoors.

Been in San Diego. Nice place to visit, etc. Also FL, other "nice" places. I live in the Midwest, in part because I like seasons. Won't go into the other parts......

Been in San Diego. Nice place to visit, etc. Also FL, other "nice" places. I live in the Midwest, in part because I like seasons. Won't go into the other parts......

I love living in San Diego, but as a born and raised San Diegan, I'm probably a little biased. However I also love the mountains and midwest for the seasons and changes, of which San Diego never gets really, as well as the all-around better family atmosphere. People in smaller, not so populated areas are so much nicer and genuinely willing to help a neighbor out.

Yere, it's 25 degrees out, and a lot warmer than yesterday morning. Hopefully, it warms up enough for the NLDS game tonight.

Decojuicer taught many of us that lesson back in Jan.

Well, today was going great. I was brewing my Scwartzbeir, which is SWMBO's favorite beer. I was trying out a few new things with hopes for a much higher efficiency. My time management was great, and then tragedy struck.

While I was cooling the wort down to pitch the yeast, I went to start dumping the sanitizer out of my carboy and my ale pale. I happened to walk by the kitchen door and look out side to see me brew kettle over flowing all over the porch. I raced outside, and sure enough, my brew kettle was flooding. I yanked the wort chiller out, and sure enough there was a split in the bottom most coil. Needless to say, I wasn't happy at all. I threw the wort chiller across the back yard and yelled a certain 4 letter word. I went in and grabbed a hydrometer and took a reading...1.005. A whole freakin 10 gallon batch of beer ruined. Twenty-three pounds of grain and 3 ounces of hops poured out it the grass.

I am ready to chew nails right now.

I still have the yeast, so I may give it another go tomorrow. I'll have to see if I have the hops and if I can get over to the LHBS.

I blow mine out with air after each use, and never store mine anywhere it can freeze.

I love living in San Diego, but as a born and raised San Diegan, I'm probably a little biased. However I also love the mountains and midwest for the seasons and changes, of which San Diego never gets really, as well as the all-around better family atmosphere. People in smaller, not so populated areas are so much nicer and genuinely willing to help a neighbor out.

Love the boardwalk on Pacific Beach. Err... was that a boardwalk or a big sidewalk? Anyhoo, great place.

Did the same thing last winter. THOUGHT that it was empty, and kind of figured that even if it wasn't, the easiest path for the ice to expand would be UP the tubing, not out. Oops.

Love the boardwalk on Pacific Beach. Err... was that a boardwalk or a big sidewalk? Anyhoo, great place.

Yeah, my wife and I live 2 blocks from the boardwalk on the beach and across the street from the bay. I can see the bay from my office window where I'm at now. Ever since moving here, any complaint about anything I have going on becomes instantly mitigated. I can't complain about anything, really. We're very fortunate.

IMG00050-20090902-1705.jpg

My apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread. Please continue with the broken immersion chillers in winter time and spoiled batches :mug:

Nice picture. Haven't been there, but been to Laguna, Huntington....and, well, how best to put this? Perhaps Dorothy Parker said it best: "Every time I leave New York, I am amazed at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough."

There is good reason why San Diego is called America's Finest City. It's true!

Part of brewday is blowing lines with compressor. Keeps water out and mold can't get started.

However, (and there is always a however in life) I forgot to do the antifreeze for the RV and temps were low enough to postpone yesterday's Rockies game. I'm sure my check valve for water system is busted.

Good to know!! I'm about to invest in an IC and I'll need to remember this, as I'm up in New England, and we're already getting our Frost on up here!!

had mine inside for a week now, its getting chilly in the twin cities

Back to Buffalo being spontaneously effing freezing:

I'm pretty lucky this didn't happen to me last year. Or this year. Though I suppose I haven't checked my IC in the past few days. Last December I did have it stop working because of the ice in the IC, or the hose, or something. Wound up letting the pot sit in the rain, covered, for a few hours then brought it in to pitch.

Thanks for the tip (and come to the NAH meeting on Friday :D)

Or this "freezing?" Is that like what some folks do to their margaritas?

No, its REALLY cold weather. Like done in the 50's and stuff. Human's weren't meant to live in that kind of arctic hell!

Lewis Grizzard once remarked "The Coldest Winter I ever spent was Summer in Chicago".

Part of brewday is blowing lines with compressor. Keeps water out and mold can't get started.

However, (and there is always a however in life) I forgot to do the antifreeze for the RV and temps were low enough to postpone yesterday's Rockies game. I'm sure my check valve for water system is busted.

I have to do the RV this weekend . We had a freeze warning for the last two nights but it really takes a couple of days below freezing to freeze the water lines inside the RV . The chiller I too just use compressed air to clear it stays in the garage all winter

Back