Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewpubs in downtown San Francisco?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #21
withak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
The attitude at Toronado???
It's not that bad, but they give the distinct impression that you as a customer are inconveniencing them. Which you probably are, but they aren't supposed to let you know that.

Maybe surly bartenders are supposed to be part of the atmosphere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
JEMeeks
Recipes 

My favorites after living here for 4 years now are definitely Magnolias (which has changed owners and I think brewers in the last couple of years, and their beers are fantastic but somewhat pricey - hey it is SF!), Park Chalet/Beach Chalet is fun but beers are just ok, Rogue has great beers but not good food. Others that might be closer to you are 21st amendment, which has very similar beers to Magnolias but more food variety, and The City Beer Store, which is a beer store but also has 4-5 beers on tap, and you can open any bottle of beer in their store for $1 "opening fee". It is a great place to try some beers that you might not have heard of before. Also, La Trappiste in North Beach is a great Belgium beer cave, and The Church Key in that same area has like a 30 page beer list. I also really enjoy Toronados - the attitude comes with the decor, and next door is a bar called Noc Noc's, which is a crazy looking eccentric small dark bar, but the upside is they have a happy hour from 3 PM to 7PM on saturday and sunday, with some decent beers on tap. Hope that helps!

luckyinlife21.blogspot.com

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
withak
Recipes 

Noc Noc's does usually have a nice selection on tap and in bottles. I think they rotate their offerings pretty often too.

It doesn't look like somewhere you would expect to find a good beer selection though. They recently added some windows in the front so it is less cave-like now.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMeeks View Post
My favorites after living here for 4 years now are definitely Magnolias (which has changed owners and I think brewers in the last couple of years, and their beers are fantastic but somewhat pricey - hey it is SF!)
Good to know!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

La Trappiste, I forgot that place. They always have belgians on draught that I rarely see elsewhere and the mussels are good.

I'm not a huge fan of Toronado from an atmosphere POV. If I lived in SF that would not be my regular place. They do have a great beer list* and I'm definitely going to stop there when I am in town and can handle it for a few beers.

* A guy who blogs about beer here in Kansas City went there and said their draught list didn't really have anything interesting and that he had a Pliny the Elder and felt like he wasted his money because there are 20 beers just like it in Kansas City. Whaaaaaaaat?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was actually going to post the same topic soon...I'm headed to San Fran in May as well. Glad to see some good info!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #27
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

monk's kettle & Pi Bar should be accessible via BART from downtown SF.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just went to SF this weekend, but only made it to Toronado. I agree that the bartenders attitude is poor, but who cares, really. Although i didn't appreciate him yelling at us for being too loud. I mean, we were just talking and laughing, and while we may have been loud, it's a freakin bar.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #29
rritterson
Recipes 

heh. If you guys think the attitude at Toronado is bad, you haven't A) been to toronado frequently enough and B) haven't been to some of the other SF bars I've visited.

If you plan on taking the Anchor tour, make sure to call ahead. Also, it was just sold, so ensure the new owners plan on continuing tours.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

People in most bars in SF aren't buying $15 beers.

It is what it is and I'll probably go there once every time I am in town, but the Toronado objectively has worse service than the vast majority of notable beer bars. I am well aware that there are a lot of non-beer bars with worse service.

Quick Reply