Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewpub with no beer? WTF?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Maybe they had a major contamination problem or a CO2 line burst in an inaccessible spot. Any kegger knows how hard it is to find leaks.
If I ran a bar that specialized in draft beer and my system was broken I would go out and buy a 20# co2 bottle, regulator and lines that day and run at least 1 keg off a picnic tap. It may not be ideal but "if you pour it, they will come" sounds appropriate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I love me a smoked porter. If you haven't, you should give Stone Brewery's Smoked Porter a try. Yum!! I was telling my friends about this beer just before a recent beer fest, but couldn't remember the brewery name. Then I saw someone in a shirt of theirs and yelled out, "that's them! They're the ones with the killer porter!" Guy turned around to thank me. Turns out he's their brewer and was in town for the festival

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Furthermore make some really good beer and some real crap. They have a coffee stout that rocks once it warms up.

BTW - how about a Brew Pb that can not sell it's own beer. I believe there is still a place in Great Dane West??? that legally can not sell it's own beer.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

No, that changed about 6 months ago. It was a stupid law on the books that was stopping them, but that was fixed. But now they do also have to sell beers other than their own.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I love me a smoked porter. If you haven't, you should give Stone Brewery's Smoked Porter a try. Y
can you find this in WI? I would drive up for a case

Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #16
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
If I ran a bar that specialized in draft beer and my system was broken I would go out and buy a 20# co2 bottle, regulator and lines that day and run at least 1 keg off a picnic tap. It may not be ideal but "if you pour it, they will come" sounds appropriate.
Exactly! That would be a freakin' emergency. One way or another I'd be getting something on tap, if I had to run new lines or whatever. A week without any profits from your beer would seem like a killer.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #17
GregR
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
a little off topic but . . . I'm so glad I can always get stone. in fact the other day I found a place that still had some bottles of their 8/8/08 vertical epic! needless to say I picked up as many as I could afford.

That's what Jamil said.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Rottnme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I also live in WI and up until erarlier this year the law stated that a brewery may only have two establishments that server thier brew. This led to Great Dane Brewery having three restuarants with only two of them being able to serve their own brew.

...a few months, a bunch of lobbying and who knows what else later, the State of WI passed a law known to other brewers throughout the state as "The Great Dane Law". I don't know all of the specifics but the way I understand it, this new law allows more than two pub/restaurants but the problem with it is that it also changed many of the licensing rules and proceedures for brewers in the state as well. No one I've spoken to seems to be happy but Great Dane.

...my point? It is possible for the afore mentioned to happen, it just depends on the local laws and regulations.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #19
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Exactly! That would be a freakin' emergency. One way or another I'd be getting something on tap, if I had to run new lines or whatever. A week without any profits from your beer would seem like a killer.
Unless their system is contaminated by a bug. A few seconds of carelessness can spread it through an entire brewery.

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Not sure about Stone but you should try O'Fallon's Smoked Porter that took a gold medal at GABF in 2004. I am pretty sure most of their products are available in IL, not sure about WI.

Try our Beer!

And I must say that their Smoked Porter that was aged in 23yr old Pappy Van Winkle barrels was nothing short of amazing!

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Quick Reply