Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > brewpub business plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
BraveSirRobin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a well written business plan and I can completely understand why you received an A on it. Great work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I'll be attending the University of Arizona, my wife works in their Family and COmmunity Medicine department, and because of that we qualify for tuition reduction, $25/semester, all I have to do is pay for books and supplies, I can't justify not taking the opportunity to get my degree for a fraction of the cost of what students pay!

So I will be a run of the mill Freshman student, but it's been over 10 years since I've taken any college courses, so I'm starting over basically.

Regardless, we'll see where it takes me.
well that sounds like a fantastic opportunity! don't pass it up.

"water is essential for both survival and for making beer"
-Homercidal

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

First of all, great job on putting together a nice paper. Very comprehensive.

I see you utilized Porter and that is a smart thing to be doing when looking at a topic like this.

If you are looking at this as a serious base for future business plans, there are 2.5 main things that are being overlooked. These are not things that are easily understood, so please do not take them as a jab at your effort - not at all!

I say '2.5' because there are two things that fall under marketing that are often missed, but one of them does not feel like traditional marketing.

First is the need to invest very heavily in some form of advertising and/or promotion. This can not be underestimated. This also affects the Cost of Capital impact on the business.

The '.5' is actually the marketing aspect of distribution on both sides of the suppley chain. This is often more complex than people understand.

The other point is that the cash flow analysis is often understated from an outflow standpoint. There are tremendous Cost of Capital and Working Capital needs for a startup, as well as a need for equipment calibaration and product prep (think fermentation and conditioning). There also should be a risk factor that is integrated into the cash calcs.... something like a 20% chance of startup, recipe, insurance issues. There are many more things that could impact operations, but in essence, there is a need to look at overstating cash outflows and understating cash inflows.

Nice job! Very well laid out.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocster View Post
First is the need to invest very heavily in some form of advertising and/or promotion. This can not be underestimated. This also affects the Cost of Capital impact on the business.

The '.5' is actually the marketing aspect of distribution on both sides of the suppley chain. This is often more complex than people understand.

The other point is that the cash flow analysis is often understated from an outflow standpoint. There are tremendous Cost of Capital and Working Capital needs for a startup, as well as a need for equipment calibaration and product prep (think fermentation and conditioning). There also should be a risk factor that is integrated into the cash calcs.... something like a 20% chance of startup, recipe, insurance issues. There are many more things that could impact operations, but in essence, there is a need to look at overstating cash outflows and understating cash inflows.

Nice job! Very well laid out.

thanks, but we have budgeted over $2000 per month for advertising as things get rolling. we also have budgeted to sponsor several local events per year up to $5000 per event, which we will sell our beer at. this is dramatically more advertising than most of our competition combined.

what do you mean about marketing on both sides of the supply chain? we're the end of the line and sell directly to our customers, whom we advertise to extensively.

we have budgeted to operate for 7 months without taking in a penny, and have an extra $80,000 cushion to cover unforeseen costs and expenses

-Homercidal

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
ChrisGeb
Recipes 

Great job!! I'm actually about to begin writing a business plan for a brewpub for a competition.....and if all works out possibly someday for real. This is a great template though to base mine off of. Can easily see why you got an A

Old 01-19-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
kogborn
Recipes 

Default business plan

hey any chance you could email this to me in word format? would love to toy around with some of the pages for a project I am working on

thanks,

Ken
ogbo2@verizon.net

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

sorry but it doesn't exist as a word document, this was several word documents and excel files merged together with powerpoint

-Homercidal

Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogborn View Post
hey any chance you could email this to me in word format? would love to toy around with some of the pages for a project I am working on

thanks,

Ken
ogbo2@verizon.net
LOL toy around. Yeah, right, new guy who joined just to have a copy of someone's A paper in Word.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
InfiniteThought
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wow this is well written! Shows me that my business plan that is in the works needs a serious overhaul before I let anyone else see it. Good work and thanks for sharing.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

haha I find it funny you have exactly the recommended 20% for the SBA loan. I work at the UMD Center for Economic Development and we do quite a bit of business planning so I wanna go through this and just point out a few things I would Change of beef up if others are looking to use this as a plan. Overall the plan looks great and I can tell your team put in a lot of quality work. The layout is really close to the template we use here at the center. The difference between business plan competitions and real life application is that business plan judges know what a business plan is and how they "should" be written. Banks and investors all have their own criteria for judging business plans so it is important to know who you are approaching and what they like in a business plan.

Target market could be refined further. The 25-55 age range is quite large. This range of people have very different consumer tastes and when you are trying to sell your business to a bank for a loan or potential investor they want to know how your competitive advantage is marketed towards your specific target market.

your competitive advantage section is a little confusing. you have one small section talking about your competitive advantage to the customer but a lot for the porter's forces you identified. most bankers and investors' eyes glaze over when they see that stuff.

The initial beer menu looks quite extensive. I would be worried, as an investor, about the viability of this sort of selection.

I don't exactly have the time to look over this with the time it deserves but those are just a few hints of things someone else writing a business plan could work on.

If I go out of my work background and into the brewer background I say open this restaurant next door now!

Quick Reply