New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewpub brewing techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #31
rycov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I do. All things being equal, an extract beer is not going to surpass an AG beer, will always cost more, and extract has limited fermentability which matters if you are shooting for 90% attenuation. Pretty good reasons right there.
for sure. if i were going to start a brewery of any kind i would do AG. thats what i do now (mostly). i was just saying that most peoples reason for saying AG would be better for a brewery, is not because extract sucks. So i was kinda sticking up for Airborneguy, because i didn't think he was saying that (although i should probably mind my business)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #32
ChefJoeR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why would a place already selling 50+ beers spend $20k for a license to brew a couple at a reduced profit margin? Makes no sense to me at all. I've never been a "brewpub" that sold anywhere near 50+ outside beers. Most sell no outside beer, and the most I've ever seen was at Trinity in Colorado Springs, which was around 20 and really surprised me.
That's the price of the license whether you brew 1 gallon or 10000 gallons. The beer that will be brewed will be in small batches and offer guests unique brews to supplement the list and food pairings.

By the way I like your last post on this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/brewpub-legality-question-272621/

Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #33
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
for sure. if i were going to start a brewery of any kind i would do AG. thats what i do now (mostly). i was just saying that most peoples reason for saying AG would be better for a brewery, is not because extract sucks. So i was kinda sticking up for Airborneguy, because i didn't think he was saying that (although i should probably mind my business)
I hear ya. I remember reading that quite a few breweries brew extract. Nothing wrong with extract, look no further than Brewing Classic Styles. When it comes down to it, I just am too much of a penny-pincher and I already have the equipment for AG, so why not? I'm 24, I can spare time but not money.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #34
Pascal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This seems like a strange conversation for a brewing forum. Who here thinks extract brewing is cheaper than AG? How do you think that compares when you escalate things to a commercial capacity? What do you think the margins are on running a brewpub?

Unless you are selling crack with your beer, the margins on running a brewpub are slim. With brewpubs you are hard pressed to survive, even without the extra cost of extract over grain for every glass you produce. I brew extract with grain and partial mash but there is no point in those methods if you're trying to run a business.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #35
Pascal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not saying I'm against the idea, but the idea of trying to sell microbrew using extract will likely kill any profit you could make with a brewpup, and it therefore simply makes no sense.

That said, why would you try? If you enjoy making beer that much, invest in the equipment. ...and save the ongoing per glass cost of purchasing extract.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Unless you are selling crack with your beer, the margins on running a brewpub are slim. With brewpubs you are hard pressed to survive, even without the extra cost of extract over grain for every glass you produce. I brew extract with grain and partial mash but there is no point in those methods if you're trying to run a business.
Actually, the profit margin on a pint of brew-pub beer is extremely high. I have read that it can be around 75 cents on the dollar.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply