Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewmasters warehouse can't ship within Georgia?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
stevea1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brewmasters warehouse can't ship within Georgia?

I was purusing BW tonight and saw this on their policy page:

Quote:
Oops! If you’re shipping to Georgia, we can’t sell to you!

We’re extremely sorry for the inconvenience, but our expansive selection, user-friendly website and outstanding customer service is not available to customers in Georgia.

If you would like Brewmasters Warehouse to open to the local public, and sell items to customers in Georgia please sign a petition and give your opinion about the situation.
What is going on with that? What rule / law is preventing Ed from sharing within the state? If this has been talked about before, sorry I missed it. My search-foo didn't produce anything either.

Link to page with the info

Link to petition referenced in the quote

I have signed the petition, and if you have enjoyed his wonderful service, or just want to support another lhbs, you should consider signing it as well.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

He has an account here (Home Brew Talk - Brewmasters Warehouse). I'm curious too, actually, probably some stupid permit/zoning law

Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It is not a law. I think I know what the situation is but do not want to spread unconfirmed rumors. I will let Ed explain if he chooses.

But I will say: if people in Georgia want to order from him and can't they will probably turn to one of the other online, flat-rate-shipping stores.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
It is not a law. I think I know what the situation is but do not want to spread unconfirmed rumors. I will let Ed explain if he chooses.

But I will say: if people in Georgia want to order from him and can't they will probably turn to one of the other online, flat-rate-shipping stores.
Hopefully Ed will chime in on this then. I understand you not wanting to spread a rumor.

I do honestly feel bad for you beerific. You have a great hbs that is in your own state, and can't even order from him. I hope whatever is causing the situation is resolved so you can use them also.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know about Georgia law but perhaps it has to do with collecting taxes. Usually a vendor would have to collect sales tax for items sold within his state?

Just a thought..

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is really not a lot I can say about the situation. The gist is that new competition came into the area, and not everyone thought it would be best for the home brewing community to have more local competition. This lead to the agreement that I would not sell to customers in Georgia, and therefore not upset the competitive balance that had existed before I opened Brewmasters Warehouse.

I invite everyone that would like to see Brewmasters Warehouse open to the public, and sell things to people in Georgia, please sign the petition!

Edit: This is a matter that deals with protected area within a distribution chain. Please checkout page 6 for a better idea of why/how this agreement started.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3201 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Uhhh, that's fairly dumb. If the "competition" can't deal with any competing businesses in the STATE then they really need to reassess the way they do business.

Good on you for making the gentleman's agreement with the other store(s), but allowing your competitors to dictate your business practices right out of the gate doesn't make sense to me. Are they only allowed to sell to Georgia and not outside of it?

If this came from the distributor, then I kind-of understand the limits.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There were more people involved than just the LHBS. The agreement started off fine, but Brewmasters Warehouse has grown so fast, thanks to everyone at HBT, that the agreement has started to create so much confusion and frustration on the part of customers, that I felt the need to give customers a chance to voice their opinions.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
reim0027
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Losers says I. This is why monopolies are illegal. That is kinda what they are trying to accomplish (albeit quietly and for their local area). They are being bullies. That is crap and only hurts the market in Georgia. I hope you get enough petitions signed so you can bypass that BS.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
JohnBarleycorn
Recipes 

Free market capitalism is great unless you actually have competition .

Quick Reply