Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing with wild hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
BrokenBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing with wild hops

It's amazing. It seems everywhere I look I see wild hops growing alongside the road. Maybe it's because I now know what they look like!

I'm an avid runner, and love to run on dirt trails and roads. Just yesterday, I saw two different wild hop bushes loaded with huge cones. I picked a couple and rubbed them between my hands. Smelled good, just not as much aroma as my home-grown cascades. I'm assuming the AA content is fairly low. I look at the lupulin glands are somewhat small, but deep yellow (almost gold).

I was thinking about doing a SMaSH with them as a wet hop - a 'Wet and Wild SMaSH'. Something like:

8 lbs. 2-row pale malt
5 oz. (wet) 60 min.
5 oz. (wet) 30 min.
5 oz. (wet) 5 min.
S-05 or WLP Calif. Ale Yeast

Has anyone brewed using wild hops? I searched the forums, and saw a lot of interest, but couldn't see how any of the batches turned out.

I live in Colorado, and from what I can gather, there have never been any hop farms where I'm finding them. So these must truly be wild (feral?).

I'd love to hear if anyone has had success with wild hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I bet running in the beautiful area you live is nice. I flyfish around that area a few times a year.

I would do it. Maybe one with loads more and one with less in a split boil if you can do it. Then dry some cones and dry hop one. There really is no downside to it. I have picked some wild hops out of a few yards, people plant them as ornamental vines where I live (lots of brick houses), so they aren't wild per se. I never used them because I never had enough.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
vtbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A garbage bag full of wild hops ended up in my office last week. I picked and dried 7 ounces. I'm pretty sure they are Cluster hops and I'm going to throw them all into a Cluster F@cked IPA soon.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
batfishdog37
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do it! I've brewed with home-grown hops but never wild hops. Let us know what the beer is like.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just noticed that my neighbors have hops growing over my fence, UNDER my fence, and up high into their tree. The hops have a low bitterness and aroma, but I don't see why I couldn't try a simple mellow recipe with them.

Give it a shot. It would be cheap since you aren't paying for the hops, and to keep it cheap go with dry yeast or your own washed yeast.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There are Fuggles all over the place here. Mostly mixed with blackberry canes, so you can pick hops, gather blackberries and donate blood all at the same time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

there is only one species of truly wild hops in the west and it is var. neomexicanus seen here NCGR-Corvallis Hop Expedition 2002 i have no idea how they smell or if they are of use to brewers other than as a n experimental batch but at least you can find pics of them on the web. the 2 strains that are native to the eastern US don't seem to have been studied as thoroughly as the ones in the west so i haven't been able to find pics of them, which sux since i live where both varietals grew historically.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
There are Fuggles all over the place here. Mostly mixed with blackberry canes, so you can pick hops, gather blackberries and donate blood all at the same time.

How do you know they're fuggles? The wild hops I've picked around here (and there are many) are floral, slightly citrusy, and very low on the AA's, I'd gues around 3-4% AA. Does kinda sound like wild American-grown fuggles.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Now I am thinking...this time probably won't get me into trouble. What if the next time my LHBS has the rhizomes, I plant them and let them grow wild in a neighboring field? Without being string trained are they weaker? Or could I get a season or two out of them? Anyone know?

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbeerman View Post
A garbage bag full of wild hops ended up in my office last week. I picked and dried 7 ounces. I'm pretty sure they are Cluster hops and I'm going to throw them all into a Cluster F@cked IPA soon.
That is the best beer name I've ever heard

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Quick Reply