Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing for Weddings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
crharner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crharner
What's the difference from someone asking to buy beer
What's the difference from someone saying "hey pick up some beer and I'll pay when you get here" vs "hey I bought a beer kit. I'll give you $20 to teach me how to brew it"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The easiest way around this is to just have those people pitch the yeast. It has been commonly accepted that the "brewer" is whoever pitches the yeast. I have auctioned off brewing lessons before where I do all the brewing/clean up but the recipient pitches the yeast thus it is their beer.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
NeighborsBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
The easiest way around this is to just have those people pitch the yeast. It has been commonly accepted that the "brewer" is whoever pitches the yeast. I have auctioned off brewing lessons before where I do all the brewing/clean up but the recipient pitches the yeast thus it is their beer.
Zing. I like it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4463 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Maybe. In some states, the "home"brew must be brewed in your own home, and in some states it is illegal to even give it away or take it out of the home.

In some states, you can't even legally take your own homebrew to your own campsite.

In all states, it's illegal to sell/barter/"pay for ingredients"/etc.

In some states, you can give away limited amounts of homebrew per year.

In Michigan, it used to be that you could give away one sixpack per year of homebrew to an individual. They recently changed that, and you can give away 20 gallons per year, total, of homebrew. So I couldn't even legally give 30 gallons away, let alone sell it.

Please check YOUR local laws and remember that trying to circumvent the law with silly things like "have them pay for ingredients" as advice is not going to work. Judges are smarter than that.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

The simplest way to look at it is, you are doing this without the goverment getting thier cut of taxes and we all know Uncle Sam takes that pretty seriously.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #16
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Maybe. In some states, the "home"brew must be brewed in your own home, and in some states it is illegal to even give it away or take it out of the home.

In some states, you can't even legally take your own homebrew to your own campsite.

In all states, it's illegal to sell/barter/"pay for ingredients"/etc.

In some states, you can give away limited amounts of homebrew per year.

In Michigan, it used to be that you could give away one sixpack per year of homebrew to an individual. They recently changed that, and you can give away 20 gallons per year, total, of homebrew. So I couldn't even legally give 30 gallons away, let alone sell it.

Please check YOUR local laws and remember that trying to circumvent the law with silly things like "have them pay for ingredients" as advice is not going to work. Judges are smarter than that.
Very true. You should know your states homebrew laws.....even though no one enforces them since the vast majority are unenforceable. Actually I have never seen it in writing where the person who pitches the yeast is the brewer of record. It is just something has been passed on from brewer to brewer.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Quick Reply