Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing or University??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
colinwollmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing or University??

I started on a university degree recently and it's really cutting into my brewing schedule and activities .All that studying and homework,well ,I'm in need of some advise from fellow AGBs .An education or Beer?I have to choose,or should i just suck it up and get both done somehow,eh?

A little humour and homebrew would be great right about now ,I'm sick of textbooks already!!!

btw I'm not serious about quitting school because it cuts into my brewing time,I'm just blowing off a little steam,so to speak,,,,

later cheers
colin

C-MANN

Last edited by colinwollmann; 03-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you already know how to make beer...what else is there to learn?

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

dont go to medical school, then. I just finished my last test of my second year, yesterday. I barely have time to do laundry but I seem to find time to brew every couple of weeks, also beer is great for person on a busy schedule because its so malleable that you can just forget about if for a couple weeks.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

School!!

Brewing is fun and can be done at night, in the morning, during the day, or after a final exam. Since brewing and school are both cyclical things anyway, they can complement each other nicely.

That said, I am almost done with school, and started it over 10 years ago. I hate it with the fury of 10000 suns, but I do intend to finish it.

IMHO, having a college degree will improve your chances of getting a job than not having one. Knowing how to brew alone might improve your chances of getting a job vs. someone who doesn't know how to brew, assuming all other things are equal. A college grad vs. a non-college grad homebrewer will usually end in the graduate getting the job than the brewer.

A college grad that is a brewer vs. a college grad... definitely a conversation starter and a leg-up on the competition!

Last edited by nebben; 03-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Why don't you unbunch your panties and suck it up! ^_^ What're you studying anyway? Actually, it doesn't matter. I've been doing it for the last 3 years of my college career and it has never been a nuisance. Hell, I even read/study during the mash or boil.

Plus.... why would you ever give up school just to homebrew? It's not like you're making money from it. A degree is oh-so-important if you ever hope to make something of yourself (unless you're the lucky few)

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
colinwollmann
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Why don't you unbunch your panties and suck it up! ^_^ What're you studying anyway? Actually, it doesn't matter. I've been doing it for the last 3 years of my college career and it has never been a nuisance. Hell, I even read/study during the mash or boil.

Plus.... why would you ever give up school just to homebrew? It's not like you're making money from it. A degree is oh-so-important if you ever hope to make something of yourself (unless you're the lucky few)
dude ,don't get your panties in a knot,i was just joking about school vs brewing ,my afternoon of studying was gettin a little boring ,so I was just lookin to have a little fun with it ,that's all.

thanks for all the replys btw,keep it fun ,,,

cheers cw

C-MANN

Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Patience young padawan.

Balance in all things.

Too busy? Put on a couple of BrewHouse kits. Keg instead of bottle. Schools out in two months.

Take a 15 minute break from studying and dream dreamy thoughts of the Witt's and Saisons you'll whip up in the summer.

Rudeboy

Movementarians: Would you rather have beer, or complete and utter contentment?
Homer: What kind of beer?
Kegged Ready: Dry Stout; Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
SuperBreeze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Definitely school, I would imagine brewing is harder without a job.

I am just finishing up my last semester of college, and have found that i dont have a lot of time for brewing during the semester. I am on spring break now, and have done 4 AG batches in the last two weeks. I will be able to find the time to keg and bottle them, but time for a full AG brew day is rare while school is in session.

Brewing less is a sacrifice, but Im sure that you will find time if its important. I once scrubbed bottles at from 12-3am so i could bottle the next day.

College is all about time management. The better you are at it, the more brewing you can do.

I make beer way faster than I drink it...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
sp1365
Recipes 

Definitely focus on studies. That being said, if you can time everything right you can do both. I brew almost once a week at school.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank God I didn't know anything about homebrewing when I was in college, or I would have been in some serious trouble. SWMBO would tell you that I was trouble anyway.

I know you were just having fun with the question, but..............gotta find a way to get school done. Plenty of people have found success without it, and my hat's off to them. But since you've already started, why not see it through. You won't regret it. You'll have the rest of your life to make that sweet nectar we call beer.

Quick Reply