The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Under the Sun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Under the Sun

If I brew in the middle of the day and the sun is shinning right on the boiling wort does it affect my beer? I know sunlight is bad for hops and my hops are in the wort, so I am thinking it is probably not the best situation. Is there truth to this theory?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Been wondering the same thing... when I move outdoors with the propane burner I plan to buy, I imagine I'll brew under a portable canopy on the deck, if only to keep the sun off me and help prevent the random chunk of whatever from falling into the brew pot.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3488 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're not out there long enough for it to matter. Now, if you ferment in a carboy in the sun, different story.

Of course, it's probably better for you and your health to brew in the shade.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have one of those patio umbrellas to brew under. It makes a huge difference in comfort. I am in Texas so it gets hot here.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
I have one of those patio umbrellas to brew under. It makes a huge difference in comfort. I am in Texas so it gets hot here.
I'm in Connecticut-- it's barely gotten above 80 on a couple of days so far. It's been a very cool spring.

-Steve

Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sunlight is not bad for beer until you introduce yeast. Apparently you need riboflavin (which is a yeast byproduct) for the chain of reactions that skunk beer.

http://blog.khymos.org/tag/skunk/

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's post fermentation when light stiking the beer is bad.....NOT during the brewing process...Relax....beer was brewed outside for a LOOONG time before commercial breweries existed.

Not too different from this...

Relax!!!!!! Bazillions of gallons of beer have been brewed outside in the sun...and you don't see any posts about skunked beer from that...nor mention of it in books....we wouldn't be doing it if it were inherently bad for the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
Rockweezy
Recipes 

Geez, it was just a theory. I cannot really change my process as my tower is over 9ft tall with Keggle on top. My beers turn out fine, I am very relaxed, but had a question and that is what I thought this forum was intended for. Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockweezy View Post
Geez, it was just a theory. I cannot really change my process as my tower is over 9ft tall with Keggle on top. My beers turn out fine, I am very relaxed, but had a question and that is what I thought this forum was intended for. Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.
Um..if you are referring to MY posts, I wasn't trying to be sassy...I WAS TRYING to calm your concerns.....

It's not like I said you were an idiot or something for asking (we get this question on occasion)...I just said to realx, we've been doing it for a LONG time....Hence the video on colonial brewing to prove the point...nothing in there was intended to offend....or be "sassy"

We, and books tell so much about what to and what not to do...To sanitize....not to pour your beer into the secondary from a high hieght, to use a hydrometer.....so saying that if it were bad, we wouldn't be doing it...is logical....NOT sassy.....

WTF??????? NONE of us where "Sassy" to you.....Telling you to "relax" is being sassy???WTF??????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockweezy View Post
Thanks to all for your input without the sassyness.
Yeah, HBT is like quaffing 100 IBU's of sass.

Seriously, Revvy (I'm assuming that's who you're referring to) was just trying to enlighten us all with his usual good humor and no-nonsense approach. He's a bounty of good information.

-Steve

Quick Reply