Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing a triple IPA help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brewing a triple IPA help

Well I'm think of brewing a triple ipa or whatever you want to call it. I had a few questions. Mostly about fermentation. I've never made a beer this big before so this should prove to be interesting. How should I ferment this? Add more yeast or nutrients at high krausen? How do I bottle this beer? Add yeast to the bottles or bottling bucket? I certainly don't want bottle bombs. Here's the recipe I came up with. I'll probably add some more dry hop addition though. Let me know what you think. It's a bigger version of an IPA I MADE BEFORE THAT TURNED OUT TO BE GREAT.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Kmcogar
Recipes 

super mr hoppy other
5 gallons
All Grain
1.097~OG → 1.022~FG → 9.8%ABV 107 IBU 10.9°L SRM
Yeast
White Labs - California Ale
WLP001 - California Ale
White Labs (Ale) 1.35 ounces

Fermentables
17.66 pounds
Pale Ale
37ppg, 3°L 14 pounds
79%
Pilsen
35ppg, 1°L 3 pounds
17%
CaraVienne
34ppg, 20°L 5.25 ounces
2%
Crystal 120L
32ppg, 120°L 5.25 ounces
2%

Hops
12.5 ounces
Zythos
11%, Pellet 7.25 ounces

moteuka
7%, Pellet 5.25 ounces

Miscellaneous
None

Boil
1 hour, 5.78 gallons
moteuka hops
7%, Pellet 2.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Zythos hops
11%, Pellet 2.5 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
moteuka hops
7%, Pellet 1 ounce
5 minutes (+55)
Zythos hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
5 minutes (+55)

Ferment
14 days, single stage
Start fermentation
63°F
14 days (+0 days)
Zythos hops
11%, Pellet 2 ounces
10 days (+4 days)
Notes

Sent from my iPhone

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Also, the final gravity listed is wrong. I'm going for something lower. Between 1.010-1.016

I'm also gonna add a pound of sugar to bring down the FG

Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts

1.097 isn't that big, you won't need to do anything different than normal during/post fermentation as long as you make a proper starter. you may want to mash a lil lower than you did in the smaller version tho

did you forget to include the bittering add? there's no way those hops add up to 107 IBUs. definitely stick with your plan to add more dry hops, at least double.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You should just do everything normally. Calculate your pitching rates using mrmalty or a similar calculator. No need to add nutrient part of the way through. Investing in an 02 setup if you don't already have one would be good as that is really important on bigger beers. If you want to really get a good fermentation then you could make a pale ale (or a beer below 1.060) and then just pitch your IPA on top of that. It will ferment nicely that way.

I would watch the temperature because bigger beers can heat up a lot more. Starting low at 63F is a good idea and then after day 3 or 4 you could ramp it up to help it finish out lower like you wanted it to.

It's not a bad idea to put some more yeast in the bottling bucket before you bottle this brew, I personally would do that (just to be safe) but others on here would say to not worry about it because theres probably enough yeast in suspension.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Ahhhhh thanks guys! You pretty much answered my questions. I am converting my mini fridge so I can control the temp. I was mostly worried about the bottling. Now that I know I don't have to change much. I'm not worried. By the way, I have a FWH ADDITION, which makes the IBU's higher.

Quick Reply