Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing to Style vs. Extreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brewing to Style vs. Extreme

So what is the general feeling on this board about brewing to style vs. doing DogFish Head-style crazy experimentation? I suppose one question is what people are actually trying to do with their brewing hobby and why (replicate/tweak beers vs. discovering something new). But another is just how often people are happy with what they get when they throw together ingredients without quite knowing how it will taste ahead of time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I brew some things to style, I tweak certain recipes constantly trying to perfect it, and I wildly experiment on some beers.

So my answer is "yes."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I enjoy experimentation and maverick brewing though I typically brew to style; however I always ask one thing: if you aren't brewing a specific beer to style, don't call it that style. That only manages to confuse the drinker.

If you hand me one of your creations and say it is an ordinary bitter, I'm already preparing a mental checklist of attributes to measure it against. If it's dramatically different from that checklist, I'll be dismayed and it won't fare well in my analysis, while it may be a tasty beer.

To relate an anecdote: I judged American Light Lager recently at a competition. One of the judges raved about how this one particular entry had lots of prominent malt and hop character - pretty much the antithesis of 1A. How do you think it fared?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I make beer....as long as it is drinkable I am happy, so I am not big on experimentation....yet!

I know nothing!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I tend not to brew to style. However, there is a lot of room between brewing to style and extreme brewing. It is fun to play around!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As of right now I just brew what I know I'll drink. I'm not ready to brew 5 gallons of something I'm not sure I wanna drink....I will probably brew 2.5 gallons of anything that I just wanna try.

Mad One Legged Hopps Brewing
ON DECK:Shae-dy-day Brown, Outmeal Stout

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

BOTTLED: Irish Red, Copper Ale (2), Hanks Hefeweizen (2), Yakima Blonde, Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Pschof
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How often do people like whatever it is that they concoct when they get creative? My experience is that I tend to like beer and beer-related drinks. So it is pretty hard to disappoint me.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently started brewing small 1g batches just for this purpose - taking left over ingredients from a couple brews, adding in some experimental stuff. So far so good.

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I look at styles as the proven methods and ingredients that work together. This is a great way to learn what works, what doesn't, and why. People should go through and brew the styles, this will teach them the basics then they can build on it or off of it to come up with their own crazy ideas.

Brewing crazy is the spirit of homebrewing to me, but the people who do it the best are the ones who took the time to master the styles first. It's like in French cooking you have to master the mother sauces before you can create your own unique dishes.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Windigstadt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm fairly new to these boards, so I can't really speak for anybody else, but I'll offer these two thoughts. The first is obvious: brew what you like. Brewing crazy beers can be fun and challenging, and I applaud those who are up for experimenting if that's what they want to drink. I also think there's something to be said for brewing things you can't pick up at your neighborhood liquor store; hell, that's what got me into brewing. However, my second thought is this: brewing to style can be an excellent learning tool. Shooting for a known target allows you to best evaluate your brewing skills and will allow you to better formulate recipes when you do decide to brew something crazy. Remember that Picasso painted some incredible "conventional" paintings when he was younger; it's not like he just started painting crazy cubist stuff the moment he first picked up a paint brush. So do whatever floats your boat, but I think that brewing to style from time to time will improve both your technique and your recipe formation.

Quick Reply