Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Solo, The best thing since sliced bread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
TommyTbar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Brewing Solo, The best thing since sliced bread

I always avoided brewing by myself, having thought it couldnt be done with all grain not having pumps and such untill i picked up a trusty pitcher to transfer strike and sparge water.
I have to tell you the best brew day i have had, no mistakes, relaxing, took way more notes than usual, and didnt end up wasted by the end dont get me wrong love brewing with friends but for me at least usually ends up in disaster in some way
Who agrees??

"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I almost always brew alone. I like to brew in the morning. For example, this morning I started about 8 am, while heating up my mash water I siphoned a batch to my bottling bucket. While the mash was going on, i bottled. After that I could just take it easy during the boil. Nice easy brew, done by early afternoon.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never brewed with anyone else, always solo. I think I'd dislike having someone else there, it's nice to have alone time.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

I brew alone usually. I start heating water around 5:30 ish and mash in around 6-7 ish -- whenever I feel ready. I love it.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewing with friends is fun but I usually end up making mistakes or missing notes. I do enjoy my alone time brew days. They usually go so much smoother. I do the early morning brew day as well. It's great starting that strike water before anyone's up in my house. Just me and my dog!

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

flipfloptan Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
I brew alone usually. I start heating water around 5:30 ish and mash in around 6-7 ish -- whenever I feel ready. I love it.
Same here.

Early morning brewing FTW!

Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
TommyTbar
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent
I agree with the early start, but not that early haha, tho with previously relying on friends to help didn't happen too often. I live by myself so i crank my hot water heater up, not having to worry about someone burning themselves, it usually comes out of the tap at 150, so whenever I wake up I am basically at strike, helps with sparge too, so if I start by 8 I can be done by noon

"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I get better focus when I'm brewing alone. I don't have other people asking me questions and I'm focused on the task and process.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Gitmoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I always brew alone and I really like it. However, I brewed last week and about halfway through the boil my friend from out of town showed up at my place. This friend of mine brews commercially for Epic in SLC. Let me tell you it was a treat. As soon as I emptied the boil kettle into the fermentor, he grabbed the hose, ripped down my single tier, and started cleaning everything correctly without directions. We had the system cleaned out and put away in just a few minutes. Normally my after brew clean takes about 45 minutes. Having helpful hands is amazing. Having non-brewing friends around can definitely be annoying...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTbar View Post
I agree with the early start, but not that early haha, tho with previously relying on friends to help didn't happen too often. I live by myself so i crank my hot water heater up, not having to worry about someone burning themselves, it usually comes out of the tap at 150, so whenever I wake up I am basically at strike, helps with sparge too, so if I start by 8 I can be done by noon
off-topic, but:
If you ever seen the inside of a hot water tank, you may want to reconsider the practice of pulling your brew water from it.

Quick Reply