Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Session Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Brewing Session Beers

I have a special bitter that's at it's peak right now. Only problem is, I'm gettting a little tired of it.

It's a nice session beer, but I'm not really a session beer drinker--my lifestyle (middle aged, demanding job, three kids, etc) just doesn't allow for it. Since SWMBO isn't a beer drinker, it's just me except when I have friends over for beer drinking (who also don't tend to be big session drinkers.)

I guess I need to brew session beers only when I have a party planned or something. If I only drink one a night (typical weeknight), I generally want it to be something a little more thought-provoking.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Just to offer a service to you and others like you on this board who have similar problems, I will make a huge sacrifice.

If you get tired of any of your beers - session beers or otherwise - you can send them to me where I will give them a stable home in a wonderful and caring enviroment.

Then, you'll have an excuse to brew another beer . . .

In fact, I suggest that you send half of every batch you brew to me. Just think . . . you'll never get sick of one of your homebrews again!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just take a day now that it is nice outside, take a few buds to the lake/pond/creek and toss some lines in there. Bring the homebrew and you'll be surprised how fast it dissappears. Oh ya, you have to get SWMBO to watch the offspring - no doubt the hardest part!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I find my tastes cycle and particularly in the summer I like the session beers. So often beers are just too over the top and sometimes it is really great to have a nice simple beer.

Then again there are those barley wine nights...

Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

There's no FIFO rule with beer. Make a new one and drink it instead of your session beer. When you grow tired of it, switch back.

I made a Wit that was OK. Then I made an Oatmeal Stout that was really good. Now, I can only drink stout for so long before I need something lighter. Out of drunken boredom, I made a black-and-tan (er...Wit and Black) out of the Wit and Oatty. Brilliant! It's the best of both worlds, and my new preferred drink.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
There's no FIFO rule with beer. Make a new one and drink it instead of your session beer. When you grow tired of it, switch back.

I made a Wit that was OK. Then I made an Oatmeal Stout that was really good. Now, I can only drink stout for so long before I need something lighter. Out of drunken boredom, I made a black-and-tan (er...Wit and Black) out of the Wit and Oatty. Brilliant! It's the best of both worlds, and my new preferred drink.
Call it a Brit-Wit!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Agree. My only problem is that my cellar is currently the basement floor (steady at about 58-60), so the hoppy beers do tend to lose their hop flavor and aroma over time. The bitter is really quite good right now, but I don't think it will be as good a month from now.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good thread.

I am on a never-ending (it seems) quest ot have a "session beer" to be on tap all the time. I just can't find somethign I always want around, besides an APA.
I'm going to try my hand at a boring pub type ale in the coming weeks, somethign easy to drink and somethign anyone can enjoy a few of when they stop over. I'm simply go ing to call it pub ale.

BTW, cweston--by the end, I'm usually sick of my beers too. This smoke dporter is an exception (I drink a pint about every 2-3 days) and of course it seems I can never get sick of a good american pale ale. But when I had a stout and the fat tire cloner on tap...it seemed like it was really hard to finish those up.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

I regularly get tired of beer and often bottle it up and stash it away for later use. Most of the time this gets hauled off to parties and given to friends.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
BTW, cweston--by the end, I'm usually sick of my beers too. This smoke dporter is an exception (I drink a pint about every 2-3 days) and of course it seems I can never get sick of a good american pale ale. But when I had a stout and the fat tire cloner on tap...it seemed like it was really hard to finish those up.
I'm with you guys for certain types of beer, especially stout.

I love stouts, but can't drink it every day. One or two batches a year is all I make, and the last bottle of a batch seems to hang around for 5 or 6 months.

The stout I have now was brewed in October and I broke into it on December. I drank it like it was my job for a few weeks, but then tapered off and have only had a couple of them in the last month (is was a requirement to drink a couple of them around St. Patty's day, obviously.)

If I ever nail down my Holy Grail porter, I suspect I'll have that constantly available (for me) and my IPA constantaly available (for SWMBO.)

-walker

Quick Reply