New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing screw-ups that turned out great. Your stories please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Brewing screw-ups that turned out great. Your stories please

We've all had brewing screw-ups for sure,some disastrous, some turn out OK anyway, and some turn out great despite the screw-up. I'm currently drinking a delicious all Centennial Ale that I thought I wrecked on brewday. I had 10-15 minutes left in the boil and was about to add my finishing hops when I realized that I never added my bittering hops. Oh Noo! I quickly started throwing in whole leaf hops (Centennial) and lots of them, well 2 ounces or so. I finished up, prayed to the beer Gods for leniency and waited. Well a month later I am rewarded with and excellent ale that is perfectly balanced and well bittered. Thank you beer Gods. So do you have a story about a big brewing mistake that turned out great anyway?

Give us this day our liquid bread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my latest was making 8 batches of Honey Wheat Ale for a wedding. ordered all the supplies ahead of all the batches. around batch 5 i spilled 4 lbs of honey, so had to start mixing my nice organic orange blossom with crap from the super market. also realized on batch 7 i was running out of hops, so used half as much for the last 2 batches.

but, in the end, i blended all 8 batches together and split them into 8 kegs, and i would never want to brew this beer any other way.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You might be looking for the stories in here....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what-some-mistakes-you-made-where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Been collecting them for a year.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply