Brewing Science Programs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently looking into attending a brewing science program in the spring and was curious as to what people think about the different programs, such as Siebel Institute of Technology or U.C.-Davis. I've seen a few others, but these seem to be the most prominent. UCD is much cheaper and is the only IBD accredited program in North America. I'm curious as to what people think, and would love to hear from people that have attended either of these programs. If anyone knows of another worthy program, I'm all ears.

Well, honestly I'd take any position at any brewery, lol. I want to learn...hands on, theory....anything and everything I can. I'd like to eventually become a brewer of some sort, and if I can get the financial backing, later on down the road I'd like to open a pub/brewery.

Have you interned/volunteered at any breweries yet? I'd give a hand at that before going the school route, you might even decide it's not for you.

A friend of mine went to UCD, really enjoyed the program. He decided to go back to University and finish his degree in biochem though.

I've heard good things about American Brewers Guild too.

I am taking the online course in Brewing Technologies from Seibel right now. It is a great course, learning a lot. Sure, it doesn't speak to the on site courses they offer, but this has been very well done so I would consider them first if I want to keep taking courses (which I probably will)

Yeah, I forgot about American Brewers Guild. Has anyone taken any of their courses? I haven't interned or volunteered as of yet, but I was pondering the idea. The nearest brewery is about an hour away, which kinda sucks...Does anyone know if there is one program that the industry thinks stands out (like a Harvard of brew schools, lol)? Thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming.

Back