Brewing with new neighbors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grssmnperez

Reaction score
I am moving into a new neighborhood and am thinking of doing an outdoor brew day to get to know my new neighbors. Does this sound like a good idea?

Just be careful. We get good at it, but the brew day is full if hazards. Wouldn't want little Johnny to open the ball valve of boiling wort onto his face.

I think it's a grat way to meet the neighbors, but don't be surprised if they start showing up every time they smell something brewing with a pint glass in hand!:tank:

Personally, I find them more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe I am just non social, but my brew days are very relaxing to me and it gives me time to collect my thoughts and just do my own thing. I find when the neighbors come over to watch or join, I end up answering question after question and in turn I miss a hop addition or end up with a boil over, etc. Not only that, then they want free beer later on! (dont get me wrong, I have no problem sharing my beer).

I try to keep my distractions to a minimum on my brew days.

Personally, I find them more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe I am just non social, but my brew days are very relaxing to me and it gives me time to collect my thoughts and just do my own thing. I find when the neighbors come over to watch or join, I end up answering question after question and in turn I miss a hop addition or end up with a boil over, etc. Not only that, then they want free beer later on! (dont get me wrong, I have no problem sharing my beer).

+1 to this - it sounds like a good way to meet them, but I would plan a very simple beer... its easy to get tied up explaining something and forget an addition along the line. Maybe a better display of your skills would be a happy hour/grill out at your place?

+1 to this - it sounds like a good way to meet them, but I would plan a very simple beer... its easy to get tied up explaining something and forget an addition along the line. Maybe a better display of your skills would be a happy hour/grill out at your place?

i brew with friends all the time. i like to sit around and BS while smoking a cigar and having an extra hand once in a while is cool with me. this past weekend i needed more help than usual, as i blew my knee and had some serious pain killers kickin! had to have help carrying my beer to the fermentation room :ban:

Does this sound like a good idea?

Depends on where you live. Down here in the bible belt, alcohol is the devil some people frown on the hobby. Hell, I don't even tell most people I brew unless they come over to my house and want a beer...

i brew with friends all the time. i like to sit around and BS while smoking a cigar and having an extra hand once in a while is cool with me. this past weekend i needed more help than usual, as i blew my knee and had some serious pain killers kickin! had to have help carrying my beer to the fermentation room :ban:

I agree and like brewing with my friends also, but there is a big difference between a friend who can help you and a stranger you just met. Best case scenario is that you happen to find another brewer in the neighborhood.

A bit off topic, but did a brew day nearly beerless until the later hop additions, easiest all grain day ever.... Had the energy to do a extended boil with the first runnings to get a bit of that kettle carmelization, as well as an extended low boil with the full batch. I am have a 2 y 3 month daughter whom is way to energetic to be near out door burner....Bottom line.......

Less distractions=better beer

I agree, if you have a bunch of neighbors who are not brewers themselves you will probably find the, to be more of a hindrance. I'd suggest brew the beer than have your neighbors over for a block party and serve the homebrew! Then you can answer questions without the threat of messing up.

I disagree, a party is a bigger deal than a brew session. If the neighbors are into it, it's cool and who knows, you may get someone started in the hobby as well-I did and now have a regular brew day partner and have a blast each and every time, those that aren't interested, well, you met them, and will just remain neighbors. I have formed a great relationship and gained a friend, who is also now a brewer:)

We call ourselves the Commune because that's how we roll, lots of kids the same ages, people who appreciate good beer, BBQ and some great Baggo tourneys, all because of Homebrewing!

Make sure you wear a respirator and a Tyvek coverall when you are brewing. Gives the neighbors a warm fuzzy feeling :rockin:

Wouldn't want to inhale that deadly Diacetyl.
;)

All kidding aside - you may have someone thinking you are making Crystal Meth.
:mad:

The problem with a "brew day" is brew days are long, they will get bored. Unless you have plenty of food and beer. A few varieties to explain the differences.
Let them smell different hops.
Let them taste different grains.

Sounds like fun. I'll come over :fro:

caber2615 said:

I'm the same way. I hear these guys saying "I love to have my kid brew with me! He's my little brew helper!" and all I can think is good god, that's one of the things I look forward to most about brewing is having those guys out of my hair for a few hours. And that goes for company period. I love my friends, but when they sit in for brew days I heat my strike water too hot, miss hop additions, drink too much, and I have a hard enough time remembering the whirlfloc when I'm alone.

We call ourselves the Commune because that's how we roll, lots of kids the same ages, people who appreciate good beer, BBQ and some great Baggo tourneys, all because of Homebrewing!

Ha-ha! That's how we came up with Friendship Brewing! It all started with me and a dozen of our best friends in the garage standing around watching a pot boil. And my kolsch is called Kornhole Kolsch for a reason!

Toga said:
Make sure you wear a respirator and a Tyvek coverall when you are brewing. Gives the neighbors a warm fuzzy feeling :rockin:

I live on an air force base.

Latest posts

Back