Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing a mephistopheles inspired beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
looneybomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks like my yeast is calling it quits? I would still like another 8 or 9pt drop, but not sure how to go about doing that.

Is new/more yeast required, or do you think I ran out of fermentables?

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What's the temp at? This far into the game I would give it a swirl and raise the temp to around 70.

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
looneybomber
Recipes 

I swirl it multiple times a day. Temps have been pretty steady at 69 for the last few days. Can't really figure out why I didn't get good attenuation with WLP099. I was actually worried it was going to dry too much.

*edit*
Just took a temp reading. Been at 70 for 24hrs now.

<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
looneybomber
Recipes 

Just took a temp and gravity reading. 72 and 1.032. Unchanged for 4 days. That yeast is done.

Will pitching a new starter of WLP099 get it going again? Looking at the recipe posted in the first post, I finished drier than what Evan! did, but I only got about 77-78% attenuation instead of the 80-85% whitelabs claims.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
looneybomber
Recipes 

I decided it wasn't worth fighting with this beer to drop more pts. I racked it to a 5gal carboy with 2oz med toast oak chips and 1oz of whiskey. I would have used more whiskey, but the last time I looked, I had quite a bit more in my bottle. I think my wife and her friend must'a got into it.

I had enough left over to fill a 12oz bottle and get about 7-8oz in my glass I am currently drinking. It's not too bad for a way young, uncarbed beer. The hops are too much and it tastes a tad sweet. Maybe I should try to ferment this again and drop a few pts...

I'm amazed I lost nearly 1gal of beer. There was a huge sludge pile at the bottom of the fermenter.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
looneybomber
Recipes 

Just took a gravity reading and I might have dropped 2pts after I thought the yeast was done. Could that be due to the oak for any reason? Did my yeast maybe wake up a little bit due to the racking?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
looneybomber
Recipes 

Took another gravity reading, still at the 1.029/.030 mark from weeks ago.

Finally adding pics.
This is a 5gal paint straining bag. It's pretty full...

Trying to mash said bag full of 14.67lbs of grain.

Taking an impossible gravity reading due to all the crap still in suspension. That wort was later poured through another sanitized paint strainer bag when it was time to aerate. Took forever to drain, but I did filter out a LOT of hop material and other bits of grain particles.

Using a 1gal wine jug to make the 3L starter of WLP099

Warming up the 6lbs of marris otter LME for the 2nd malt addition.

Here is all of my collected beer. I knew it was going to overflow the carboy, so I had the sanitized thing next to it ready to catch whatever was left. I used that to fill one 12oz bottle, letting it (hopefully) carb with whatever viable yeast was still in suspension.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
wjjcfuwh
Recipes 

I'll use this post to keep track of all liquid additions.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
looneybomber
Recipes 

Well, I cracked open my test bottle to see how it tastes. I call it my test bottle because it was my left overs after racking 5gal on oak chips.

It carbed naturally with some sugar in the bottle and whatever WLP099 was in suspension. That said, if I would have added more sugar to my original beer, I could have gotten that AbV higher and dried it out a tad, but maybe next time.

I'll attach the picture tomorrow, but it produced about 2 fingers of head with a gentle pour (chilled only 2hrs). It tastes great, but it is not a Meph clone. I haven't had a Meph in a month or two, but I know for sure this is not the same. This is sweeter (as evident by the final gravity), has more mouth feel, and doesn't have the alcohol bite that meph has. Flavor wise, I'd need a Meph next to me in order to taste these back to back to distinguish the different flavors between the two.

So while this is NOT a good clone of Meph, it is a stout that I would be proud of had I put the recipe together myself. I will put this beer on my list of "house beers" and continually brew it. For next time, I will sub out some of the Marris otter grain for some sugar in order to get my attenuation higher, but I'll keep with the MO LME from northern brewer since I have yet to move to AG.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
looneybomber
Recipes 

Just a quick update. I bottled this beer just a tad over a week ago after being on oak for pretty much 3mo. I even added more med toasted oak chips 2mo into it. That said, I think it's OVER oaked. It has a bit of a burnt and tannin flavor that is just a bit too much. I hope that dies out with age.

When bottling, I added the priming sugar and a rehydrated packet of EC1118 to the bottling bucket. I tried to keep it close to 70 degrees the whole time with the exception of a two day period when it was around 66. I got stupid with the heater. Currently, the one plastic bottle I used shows some firmness, so that means I am getting some carbonation. I hope the 1118 stays strong and carbs this beer!

Quick Reply