Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > This brewing is a lot of work....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
iamwhatiseem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default This brewing is a lot of work....

...that is if you start getting serious about it.
The wife is not so pleased about a 5 gallon carboy in the dining room...can't imagine why....I thought it was great so everyone could see it. She doesn't see it that way. She is also not so joyful about a secondary, bottling bucket, caps, hydro, tubes, auto-siphon and so on in the family room....ok...so maybe I see her point on this one.
At any rate I spent the entire day yesterday, and most of today cleaning out the garage...hauling of loads of old junk to prepare for an honest to goodness brew room.
But now I am kind of excited. I am going to paint the floor area, paint the walls with some kind of mural I haven't decided on yet....build shelves...figure out something to build to make it easier to get a fermenter into the temp. controlled chest freezer...damn things are heavy.
But hey - when it's done - it's going to be cool....course by that time I will have about $800 into this "hobby". The wife hasn't complained about the cost yet, something tells me she figures it will be worth it if I spend a lot of time out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
dmashl
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Good luck with your wife, and Welcome to the obsession!!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah, but who asked her?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

lololol....one carboy...A bottling bucket!

Just kidding, but man, is she in for a shock when you get your room done.

Just wait till you have a couple of chest freezers(one for fermenting and one keezer), a fridge just for hops and washed yeast, grain bags stacked in the corner, an entire mahogany table built just for your grain mill, 3 propane tanks with matching burners, full,empty,and cut up kegs, 20 cases of bottles, enough tubing to open an emergency room, a couple co2 tanks, flasks and stirplates, a couple cases of mason jars, 30 different beer glasses that must be cleaned a certain way, a printer just for bottle labels, 15 brew buckets, 5 more carboys,a vacuum sealer, a bunch of friends that stop in every weekend just to see "what ya brewin today", and a lot of other stuff I forgot to mention.

And don't worry, you'll say "no, I'm keeping it small"....check back in a year.

Congrats and welcome to the club (and possible clubbing from the wife)

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
bscott1011 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post

Just wait till you have a couple of chest freezers(one for fermenting and one keezer), a fridge just for hops and washed yeast, grain bags stacked in the corner, an entire mahogany table built just for your grain mill, 3 propane tanks with matching burners, full,empty,and cut up kegs, 20 cases of bottles, enough tubing to open an emergency room, a couple co2 tanks, flasks and stirplates, a couple cases of mason jars, 30 different beer glasses that must be cleaned a certain way, a printer just for bottle labels, 15 brew buckets, 5 more carboys,a vacuum sealer, a bunch of friends that stop in every weekend just to see "what ya brewin today", and a lot of other stuff I forgot to mention.

hahaha, yep. that sounds about right.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
iamwhatiseem
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post

Yeah...I am already concerned that the fermerator will only hold two carboys...here I am with only 7 bottles left of the first brew and the 2nd brew still has another week in the primary!!...then at least a couple weeks in the bottles!! This is a major problem.
Course my son and I are already talking about how awesome it would be to not have to bottle...
My wife wants me to make an IPA, my son wants a chocolate stout...I am trying to work on making a vanilla/chocolate porter...but I also want to make a good summer sessionable....two carboys is not going to get it...soo...

Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiseem View Post
Yeah...I am already concerned that the fermerator will only hold two carboys...here I am with only 7 bottles left of the first brew and the 2nd brew still has another week in the primary!!...then at least a couple weeks in the bottles!! This is a major problem.
Course my son and I are already talking about how awesome it would be to not have to bottle...
My wife wants me to make an IPA, my son wants a chocolate stout...I am trying to work on making a vanilla/chocolate porter...but I also want to make a good summer sessionable....two carboys is not going to get it...soo...
Your fementer only needs to be kept cool for the first 4 or 5 days. After that you can keep them at room temp to complete the fermenting and maturing. That means you can brew a batch every 5 days if you only have 3 fermenters.

From now on I'd suggest you invest in bucket fermenters. The don't shatter if dropped, they have handles so they are easier to put into and take out of the fermentation chamber and since you are fermenting in that chamber and can't see what is going on in the carboy anyway, why not save a few bucks too.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

" This brewing is a lot of work...."

Yep. Homebrewing is making beer at home, not making beer without effort.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiseem View Post
....two carboys is not going to get it...soo...
I have 8 carboys and 7 kegs. My sons are not old enough to drink and my wife doesn't drink beer.

You're f#$&ed.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Depending on what kind of ferm chamber you have a small jib crane with a light weight chain fall would make better bottle and carboy handling a breeze. Since the weight is low One inch pipe or 1 inch square tube could be used as basic material and would only require a total of 5 welds to stick it together. That would definately be a back saver for a chest type freezer or an upright even. Deserves some real consideration in your man cave/brew area/hang out. It would be cheap and eliminate the carboy in the living room and make Momma much happier too.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Quick Reply