Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing/Liquor License

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #61
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 72

In the California Goldrush of the mid 1800's, most people didn't get rich by striking gold ... they got rich by selling shovels and hot meals and clothes and doing laundry and opening saloons and brothels and boarding houses.

Not sure where the sweet spot is in the beer industry - particularly for the small business, but it's probably not in producing the beer itself ... but in all the other stuff in the value-chain and services and in retail.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #62
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley
In the California Goldrush of the mid 1800's, most people didn't get rich by striking gold ... they got rich by selling shovels and hot meals and clothes and doing laundry and opening saloons and brothels and boarding houses.

Not sure where the sweet spot is in the beer industry, but it's probably not in producing the beer ... but in all the other stuff in the value-chain or in retail.
Maybe you can be two parts of th chain. I always thought the best business is to start a pub that brews its own beer, it must be a lot of work but the few I know here are always full. The major issue is the initial investment.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #63
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I brew for a homebrewer who went pro. I completely volunteer my time and will occasionally take home a growler or two of the product as compensation. Trust me when I say that the brewing is the easy (and fun) part. The legal and business side of it is torturous from what I've seen. My dream is that we one day hit it big and I can quit my day job and just brew until my hearts content

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #64
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well i just read through this thread. And while I know this is the extremely basic talk of the extremely over asked question. I still found it very informative, if nothing else it helped me day dream a little during a slow day at work. So thanks for the info daksin, zamial, and good luck with your endeavor rexbanner.

Also, i like the idea of having shirts/ mugs at a free tasting party for friends.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #65
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What are the laws governing cooperatives (generally) where no money changes hands? People get together, some bring malt, some bring talent, some do renovations, some record the contributions and the benefits. Is financial profit what determines legality? There would be none but everybody profits without using money.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #66
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwbrennan View Post
What are the laws governing cooperatives (generally) where no money changes hands? People get together, some bring malt, some bring talent, some do renovations, some record the contributions and the benefits. Is financial profit what determines legality? There would be none but everybody profits without using money.
I don't know the particular laws, they vary from state to state. Here in CA there is a quasi co-op http://brewlabsf.com/ It has been operating for a few years now. I DO believe money changes hands in this case....for those non-brewers but I could be wrong.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #67
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Here in CA there is a quasi co-op http://brewlabsf.com/
That looks ideal. The photograph says a lot about its success. In this area the scope would have to be broadened to include non-brewers who offer other services on and off the premises (home and car repairs come to mind) and probably make a few changes to adhere to the law. I guess in small areas it could be a bartering beer-based cooperative. Only benefiting those who contribute by not using the corporate-government currency or paying all those additional sales taxes would certainly be a feature. Coordinating across jurisdictions would make them even more interesting. A homebrew-based tax and independence revolt - the beer party.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
That looks ideal. The photograph says a lot about its success. In this area the scope would have to be broadened to include non-brewers who offer other services on and off the premises (home and car repairs come to mind) and probably make a few changes to adhere to the law. I guess in small areas it could be a bartering beer-based cooperative. Only benefiting those who contribute by not using the corporate-government currency or paying all those additional sales taxes would certainly be a feature. Coordinating across jurisdictions would make them even more interesting. A homebrew-based tax and independence revolt - the beer party.
It would require extensive research into the laws of the state and locality, but generally a barter system like you describe is considered to be selling. There's a lot of "but what if?" situations thrown around and it almost always boils down to the fact that it can be construed as selling alcohol and should be regulated as such.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #69
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
It would require extensive research into the laws of the state and locality, but generally a barter system like you describe is considered to be selling. There's a lot of "but what if?" situations thrown around and it almost always boils down to the fact that it can be construed as selling alcohol and should be regulated as such.
Brew Lab seems to have figured out something in CA that allows it to exist and prosper. As they list the available brews they may be a good case study for one state and may well be an indicator for others. That's a start the OP might consider.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #70
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Brew Lab seems to have figured out something in CA that allows it to exist and prosper. As they list the available brews they may be a good case study for one state and may well be an indicator for others. That's a start the OP might consider.
I don't see any mention on that site of bartering. They say they hold tasting events, which is legal under CA law for homebrew. Again, it depends on the laws of the individual state.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS