Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing/Liquor License

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #51
HaveADrinkOnMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I just read this entire post and i won't lie it brought tears to my eyes... I've had many dreams of owning a brewery and have made batches in Dominican Republic and thought why not also make something here and even though i may not become a billionaire at least i can finally have a job that i would love and still be able to feed my family . But its so hard to read that it we are so monopolized that it would be a shot in the dark to make it... wow...
I had the same thoughts originally, but I look at it this way now, if by some miracle I am able to make a living off brewing beer then I will gladly accept the opportunity, if not I will always have one of the best hobbies, in my opinion, that a person can have and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life. Plus the more I think about it when you start doing something you love for a living then it usually doesn't become your "love" anymore and more of a job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #52
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
I had the same thoughts originally, but I look at it this way now, if by some miracle I am able to make a living off brewing beer then I will gladly accept the opportunity, if not I will always have one of the best hobbies, in my opinion, that a person can have and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life. Plus the more I think about it when you start doing something you love for a living then it usually doesn't become your "love" anymore and more of a job.
I think both of you are right...any time you take a hobby and turn it into a job there is the chance it will take the fun out of it. But why can't brewing (as a hobby) be more like being a musician(as a hobby)? I know plenty of people who play music as side/weekend/hobby gig. They aren't quitting, nor do they want to quit, their day job. I see brewing as potentially being the same way. I get asked all the time to brew beer for friend's private parties. I love doing it but it can get expensive. The solution? Taking a cue from friends in local bands....sell merchandise!! I sell t-shirts, glasses, and stickers with my brewery logo at the party. People love the beer and usually will buy something.. (especially after a few pints....) I get the best of both worlds.....having a "brewery" but also keeping it a hobby.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #53
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Question and i know i may get blasted for doing this but lets say that since we aren't allowed to sell our product,we give it away but charge for the glass or cup or whatever you may call it .... is it still illegal? I mean i won't be selling the brew but i will be renting the drinkware and last i checked glasswear isn't illegal.... just a thought ......

Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #54
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Question and i know i may get blasted for doing this but lets say that since we aren't allowed to sell our product,we give it away but charge for the glass or cup or whatever you may call it .... is it still illegal? I mean i won't be selling the brew but i will be renting the drinkware and last i checked glasswear isn't illegal.... just a thought ......
This has been brought up many, many times. It is ILLEGAL!! However giving away beer and having brewery merchandise for sale is completely legal as long as it isn't a "this for that" transaction. In other words you can't "sell" stickers and get free beer with every purchase.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #55
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hmmmm i just love the way the laws are written ..lol

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #56
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Here is different you just need an alcohol licence(which is simple to get for non destilled alcohol) and to get a permission to start a small business. So as long as you dont hire more than one person you can brew and sell from home, all the paperwork to start is less than 100 dollars... I am really tempted to make a webpage and sell a 10 or 15 gallons a month.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #57
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wirk
Can you point me to where i can obtain those things for $100. ?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #58
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat
Wirk
Can you point me to where i can obtain those things for $100. ?
Chile.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #59
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #60
Mairoa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirk View Post
Chile.
Because the US is silly and insane when you bring alcohol into it. I personally recoup my losses by having a tip jar for people who come a-drinking as well as asking buddies I drink with a lot to cover the occasional grain bill as a favor. They're not buying beer, cups, or stamps. They're providing fertilizer cash for my wet grain addiction.

Quick Reply