Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing/Liquor License

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
HaveADrinkOnMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
so depressing...just do a search..there are literally hundrends of threads about this........seriously though start a Kickstarter and maybe somebody will fund your homebrewing endeavours.
Quit being depressed and drink a Homebrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
Quit being depressed and drink a Homebrew
I "liked" this post.

I wish I could "PROST" it. Suggest me some other ways to award you accolade.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
I'm ambitious enough to not let the legalities get the best of me
So go follow the link to probrewer. That's a community of, well, pro brewers. People who have gone through all the legal and money stuff and made it happen. This forum is a community of homebrewers. There are a few on here that have made the transition, but the vast majority remain homebrewers. If you want a more informed base of people to get ideas from, go to probrewer.

You're not going to get a lot of information on becoming a licensed contractor on a forum for do-it-yourself home repair. You will on a forum for licensed contractors. Go where the most informed knowledge base is.

On the other hand, we over here can offer an opinion or two on whether you should secondary, glass or plastic, and is this infected.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'll chime in here. My nano-brewery is about six months from opening. Before you even consider opening a brewery, check your state laws to see just how beer-friendly they are. It might not be possible on a small scale in your state. If you really want to do it, you might have to move or work to change the laws.

Next, you'll need brewing experience if you'll be brewing the beer yourself. How long have you been brewing? How much do you know about brewing? Personally, I've brewed hundreds of batches, read every single book on brewing I could get my hands on, and entered and won several comps.

After that, you have to write a business plan. You need to do the math in order to make sure this isn't a big waste of time and money, and to make sure you are not forgetting anything.

Lastly, you need to have serious drive. The brewery is a second job for me, and I spend pretty much all my free time working on it. You also really need to learn how to network. After working on this project for a year, I have a big circle of highly connected people who I'm friends with. I work in local agriculture and have made a lot of friends through my job. For example, I got the frames for my system custom-made for 250 bucks. That is over $2000 of welding and materials, all because I am friends with someone. This part is optional but I cannot stress how useful it is to network.

Don't listen to naysayers. I am having a great time doing this, and though it is hard work, I don't mind. But I will say one thing. All this takes time. It has taken me a year at this point, and I'm still not close to opening. So you need to have the patience to work hard and diligently for a long time.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
itshanney
Recipes 

I'm trying to figure out the OP original intention here. Are you aspiring to be a brewery and actually make money? Or are you just wanting to sell your beer and don't care about making money?

Everybody out there has the desire/dream to start their own brewer and be the next Sam Caligone. This is no different than most software engineers thinking they want to do a startup and be the next Mark Zuckerburg. The statistics are against you. Many try. Some wildly succeed. Some break even. The majority fail miserably after burning through piles of cash. The road ahead is long and difficult.

If it's the former, you need to do a LOT of research. You can't brew on a homebrew scale and be efficient and make money. The economics are against you. You need a 10-15bbl system to produce enough to keep up with demand. This is all assuming your beer is worthy of demand. Starting breweries are very difficult, time-consuming, expensive and painful. You should also check all of the alcohol laws in your state. Like other posters said, some states, like Washington and Oregon, are very small guy friendly. Other states will take your money and kick you in the balls.

If you're just wanting to sell your beer and don't care about making money, then you better have a large amount (i.e. > $50,000) that you don't mind losing over the next few years. Licenses, permits, rent, corporation formations, etc will eat at that stash of cash. Then the ultimate question is why do you want to go through this pain? Don't. Just give it away and brew in your home and be happy.

Regardless of your endeavors, may you have good fortune and cheers!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

This thread is so lulz. I can't tell if OP is trolling or just lacks reading comprehension.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
This thread is so lulz. I can't tell if OP is trolling or just lacks reading comprehension.
The only thing I lack in this post is the answer to why you are still commenting on it.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #28
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Why not just sell your homebrew illegally? Trust me, it's cheaper and safer. Of course, don't do it in the US where there are laws.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was simply wanting to know how potentially hard it was to obtain a brewers license to sell beer, now there have been some helpful comments on here almost as much as useless waste of time comments. To the ones who actually answered my question and gave an intelligent and helpful reply I thank you, to the others, apache master, please refrain from commenting on anything I post in the future because your comments were at the very least useless and in no way shape or form addressed the original question at hand.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #30
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Honestly this subject has been addressed many, many times on HBT. Yes your state laws will vary but the federal ones will not. Check out the "Going Pro" in the groups section of HBT. There is a ton of great advice there!! Do a search on HBT about nanobreweries.....a lot of great info there as well. Not trying to be rude....it's just that the amount of info is, frankly, overwhelming. So many federal, state, and local regulations. All aspects can't possibly covered in a quick post.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Quick Reply