New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Instructions from 1861

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
And how could they possibly make beer without a chiller?
I believe it might have been called "the crick out back" though I'm not sure. But they really had it going on if you truly looked at a brewery from that era, gravity fed and everything, even 20 years before that.

Like what I showed here from 1847(but built in 1828); Labatt "Pioneer" Brewery.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I see the origins of first wort & dry hopping. Excellent article, thanks for posting.
I love this line: "A thin shell, well-filled up plump with the interior flour, and easily bitten asunder is a sure test of good quality in malt; superior hops are known by their bright, dry, yet somewhat gummy feel to the touch, without their having any tendency to clamminess."

-d

Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I believe it might have been called "the crick out back" though I'm not sure. But they really had it going on if you truly looked at a brewery from that era, gravity fed and everything, even 20 years before that.

Like what I showed here from 1847(but built in 1828); Labatt "Pioneer" Brewery.
Yes, I remember going through that when you posted it. Great stuff. They appeared to cool in troughs with paddles for stirring.

In the article linked in the op, "The beer is now to be strained through the loose wicker basket into your cooling tubs and pans; the more you have of these the better the beer, from its cooling quickly."

So they definitely saw the need to cool quickly, but they definitely did not have the technology for sanitation and materials that we have today.

No worries, it all makes beer.

Quick Reply