Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing with Earl Grey Tea or other Black Teas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Abdul_Hassan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing with Earl Grey Tea or other Black Teas?

Hello,

I recently read a recipe for an Earl Grey IPA. It was on a thread, but about two years back. I wanted to revisit the topic.

Has anyone had any experience brewing with teas? or Earl Grey specifically. I think the bergamot orange flavors would work nicely. I'm not certain. Mainly curious.

Not sure what would be a good match. I have read conflicting statements. Some said that a really hoppy IPA worked nicely. Others have stated the a more balanced Red or Brown ale would work as well.

Looking for advise.

Thanks.

Abdul Hassan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

I've found it depends on where you get your earl grey from. It's my favorite tea in the morning. the grocery store version is pretty tame,& not all that good,imho. But the version in the elephant tin at World Market is vastly superior hands down. Better flavor & over-all defenition. Period.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I think an APA or American IPA with citrusy American hops would be fantastic with a little Earl Grey in it. The citrus of the hops would complement the bergamot really well. I imagine a wit would also be quite nice. The bergamot would balance the orange peel and spices. But you'd have to have a very light touch or else the tea will overpower a light beer like a wit.

I personally have never brewed with tea - which is amazing, actually, because I drink tea every day. I have used herbal tea (chamomile) in a wit before per Jamil Zainasheff's recipe, but it was just a few grams in the boil for character. Not very noticeable.

If I set out to make a real tea-flavored beer, I'd make brewed tea and add it to the secondary or keg/bottling bucket, like I would with dry hops or "dry spices". Tea gets very tannic when boiled.

Another thing to keep in mind: bergamot is an oil, so using it may impact your head retention.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Quick Reply