Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #21
Brewin_CRAZY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The equivalent yeast is WLP006 (for 1099). If you have White Labs I would shoot for WLP007 its a great yeast and can take beer to 12-13% alcohol. DFH 90 min ipa should go perfect with WLP007 thats what I brew all my IPAs with. I even started my DFH 120 with it then at 13% alcohol pitched a started of WLP099 (super high gravity yeast capable of 25% alcohol).

I dont know much about WLP006, I cant remember if I have used it before.

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did everyone do a decoction/step for this one or just a single infusion? I bought Rahr pilsner and I don't really know how well converted it is so I think I'll do the protein rest to be safe. I've never done a decoction before but promash says starting with 1.25qt/lb I'd have to infuse about 3 gallons of boiling water to get from 122 to 149, and after a sparge I'd be boiling the wort for days to get back to 5 gallons.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #23
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this a while back, and I'm almost done with the dry hopping phase. I "cheated" for yeast, in that I pitched on to a Nottingham cake from an APA I did previously. I went from 1.089 to 1.018, I believe. I didn't do all the math out first, but just followed Beersmith. I think it worked, but oh god, I was NOT expecting to have to reduce from 10gal down to 7 before starting my 90 minute timer. Talk about an unexpectedly epic brew day. I started about 11am (gathering stuff), and finished about 10pm (post cleanup).

If it comes out like it should, I'll definitely do it again, but I'll plan better next time! I also shopped at Country Malt Group to buy in bulk - they also had all of the hops on hand, with decent prices. Good place to shop if you're in the Northeast! (They're a bit outside of Plattsburgh, in Champlain, NY.)

Edit: Welp, they're out of Amarillo now, but it was about $20 a pound when I bought it a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Hotspur; 07-15-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Hop research

Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #24
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewin_CRAZY View Post
Wow, nice man. Im brewing the 120 (im one of those weird people that love it) on sunday. It take close to the same amount of grain but during fermentation you add 11 lbs of sugar. Gotta love hitting 20% alcohol!!!! I got the clone online from a few people and they said it was amazing. So we shall see, ill log a post once the beer is finished and tasted.
The only thing that really irks me about the 120 is the amount you get for the price, but you do get what you pay for, of course.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Promash says the extract potential for both of those would have to be around 1.032 to end up at 1.088, but most of the Pilsners it has by default are around 1.036-1.038. I bought Rahr Pilsner for this recipe but I don't know what the extract potential is.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #26
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm getting 9.1 SRM with 14.5 lbs 2L pilsner and 1.66 lbs 28L amber. I needed slightly less pilsner to hit the correct gravity. Any suggestions? I've got 2 lbs of amber but that only takes it up to 9.9, still not even close to the 13.1 in the recipe. ProMash doesn't seem to take into account the boil time when calculating SRM, but is it really going to make that big of a difference?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #27
peripatetic
Recipes 

Quote:
Mash @ 122F then raise to 149F until conversion is complete.
That quote was taken from the recipe posted by Col224

Sorry for the possibly noob question, but what does it mean when you say "until conversion is complete?" I absolutely love, love, love the 90 min IPA, and it isn't sold where I live now. I really want to try to brew it!

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------
Donated all of my gear to my Paduan Learner before recent move to West Coast. Now I get to buy all new stuff, but I certainly don't have anything brewing right now!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #28
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Three words...........Ah May Zing!

Brewed the recipe posted by Col224, but substituted for the hops I had on hand. This one is awesome! My efficiency sucked big time, but thats mostly because I did a 10 gal batch and used my keggle mashtun. I couldnt even fit all the malt, and sparged as much as I could, filled the BK all the way to the top.

When I brew this one again I think I'll just do a 5 gal batch and use the correct hops as per the recipe. There is a very slight off taste, not bad, just different that I think is coming from the schmorgesboard of subbed hops I used.

Back to drinking!!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #29
NotALamer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What sort of off taste? I fermented this a little too warm and got some acetone flavors but they are mellowing out after 3 months, unfortunately so is the hop flavor.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
Jzak09
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

How much wort are you ending up with preboil for 5 gallons?

Quick Reply