Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Coconut Porter, do I have to sanitize the flaked coconut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
italynstallyn44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Coconut Porter, do I have to sanitize the flaked coconut?

I am brewing a Coconut Porter. I am going to add 24 oz. of unsweetened flaked coconut in the secondary. I plan on roasting the coconut in a frying pan before adding it to the secondary. Is this sufficient for sanitizing or do I need to do anything else?

Also how long would you suggest leaving it on the coconut in the secondary? I was going to do 7-10 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think the fry pan will sanitize it sufficiently. 7-10 days seems it bit long to me -- you don't want the coconut to overwhelm the other flavors.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale
Planned: Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just made one of these, and I baked the coconut in the oven at 325F for 15 minutes. I cannot say that I am a huge fan of the final product, but it did not get infected.

I let it secondary for 14 days with the coconut. It is still a very faint flavor, and I would recommend doing at least as long.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I had good success with oven toasted coconut in the fermenter for a week. It's best fresh but leaves a distinct character behind even with age.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Pan or oven toasting is more than enough to sanitize the coconut (which is probably not necessary anyway, IMHO). I also did a 14 day secondary, and there is a distinct nuttiness to the final beer, but it is in no way overwhelming.

Be prepared for an odd mouthfeel, and zero head retention from the oils in the coconut. It still tasted very good, but I had wondered if I were to ever to do the recipe again whether or not I might experiment with a vodka extraction technique to see how it worked out that way.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply