Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Class

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Redbeard5289
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Curious what the alcohol policy is for the community college campus. That could play a big part in deciding what to teach at your classes. I know that the community college I attended last year was very anti-drinking and anti-smoking on campus. It was too the point that they wanted me to sit through a 45 minute online presentation about the dangers of alcohol/college drinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
pigroaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Suppliers

People taking classes want to know where to buy equipment and fresh supplies. Brew Smith software would be great to introduce. This forum would be great. Do not lecture. Hands on examples and small work groups will work well. People learn by doing and are interested only when it fits there ability level. Have fun.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
nashvillerider
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard5289 View Post
Curious what the alcohol policy is for the community college campus. That could play a big part in deciding what to teach at your classes. I know that the community college I attended last year was very anti-drinking and anti-smoking on campus. It was too the point that they wanted me to sit through a 45 minute online presentation about the dangers of alcohol/college drinking.
That's not going to be a problem. They have an ABC permit which allows the pouring of any/all alcohol. They have it because they reserve rooms for private parties/meetings.
However, we did agree on anyone signing up for the class to purchase school insurance since this being a "hands on" class they would be in close contact with boiling water and glass when bottling.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
nashvillerider
Recipes 

Guys, I have gotten a lot of new ideas just from the last couple of days reading your responses. I want to tell you that I greatly appreciate all your advice.

Please keep the ideas coming. I've got almost three months before the class starts.

Here are a couple of the things I believe I will incorporate into the class:

1. Divide the brew into two different ferementers. Each could have a different yeast or hop.
2. Keg brews instead of bottle for faster carbonation. Can then bottle some on week 4.

I know my first brew will be an extract due to only having 2 hours in the kitchen to complete. Was also comtemplating a 30 minute boil kit.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
nashvillerider
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
First, I would probably write out a lesson plan for each class (that's the Science teacher in me though). At least write up a detailed outline of what you want to cover, what order you wish to cover it in, the materials you need and what you want all of your brewing students to learn and accomplish by the end of the class period. This will help you organize what you need and keep you on task during class if you get too side tracked.

That's not a problem. I'd suggest going with a partial mash or all extract brew session. This would be the time that i'd go over the basics with your class from discussing sanitation, equipment, grain bill, hops schedule, water, yeast, the basic processes of brewing, hot break/cold break, chilling the wort, Checking OG, adding the yeast, fermenting, krausening, etc.. Let's face it, you're going to have time to kill during the boil.

Pick a basic accessible beer style that most of your students will like and can share without too many turned up noses from friends and relatives, such as an American ale or a simple pilsner.

That sounds fine. Google beer history and give them a short recitation on the origins of multicultural brewing techniques. This can lead into discussing the differences in grain choices and adjuncts (hops were actually a later addition to the brewing world) and the eventual development of regional styles. It might be fun to have a taste testing of different beer styles at this point and you can then talk intelligently with them about how the ingredients impact the beer. Also, have them check their beers for activity/krausen rings and have them check out the yeast cake.

Talk about the importance of sanitation, the different sanitizers they can use and how to use them correctly, differences in bottle types, sizes and styles, kegging vs. bottling, natural carbonation vs. forced CO2 carbonation, bottle conditioning, priming tips and the importance of patience. Throw in some fun stories about bottle bombs. Don't forget to let them take an FG reading and have them calculate their ABV by hand.

This is where you can talk about beer labels, books and other resources for finding new recipes (bring some of yours in and pass them around), open Q&A for anything you haven't already covered and a big old plug for signing up for your new ADVANCED brewing class (all grain, your equipment). I would skip the culinary class and have them do a potluck pairing their favorite style of beer from the previous tasting with a dish they think might go well with it. That way, they'll have a nice foundation when they start drinking.
THANKS aiptasia!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I think this is a cool opportunity for you! Personally, and I know that I benefited from this early on, is a basic outline about the science behind the process and briefly explaining how beer is made. In other words, understanding the grain, sugars, yeast, fermenting process, etc. IMO, people get a better handle on why they do things if they understand what is achieved by doing it or how it actually works.

This doesn't have to be an entire class about the chemistry behind it in detail, just the outline about what happens through the process. Good luck, sounds fun!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I know this guy teaches Homebrewing classes through Cabrillo JC in Santa Cruz. http://thebackyardbrewer.com/Page_3.html
You might be able to pick his brain and get some useful ideas/

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #18
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 625 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For the extract brew, I recommend a Rye Pale Ale using this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/n...alt-syrup.html

At 20% rye and 10% C40L, it's basically perfect for a Rye Pale Ale. That way you get a beer that is similar in style to something most of them will be familiar with, but with the advantage of a unique ingredient that they might not have normally used. Hop it with traditional APA hops (I like Cascade for the aroma/dry hop on this), ferment with S-05, and you'll have it nice and easy.

BTW, you do get major bonus points for convincing one of them to taste a hop pellet!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #19
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I sure wish they would have been classes like this when I went to college.

I didn't exactly have a lot of extra time for finances for classes that I didn't need, but still I probably would have found a way for a class like this.

It would be cool if the college followed up with a second class that had time for all grain brewing.
I suppose it depends on the turnout they get for this.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #20
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ferment at different temperatures (one at 70-72 ambient and one at 62 controlled), and let them taste the difference in the beer. I wish someone had taught me that lesson when I first started brewing.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Quick Reply