Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Cheap Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
SevenFields
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Most of the Online retailers have Specials running. I just ordered two extract kits from B3 for $23 and $25 yeast included.
Those here with more experience do all grain and reuse/culture their own yeast.
For frat parties I am sure you will be able to get away with low ABV and few hops which will help keep costs down too.
What is B3?

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

beer, beer, beer -- It's an online HBS

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

So I saw alot of you were kicking out 5 gallon batches for $20 or so. So a half-barrel of BMC would have to be more than $60 to make it worth your while brewing your own vs. buying the keg of BMC.

Now, when you take into account the value of your time making that 15 gallons of home-brew (time that could be better spend doing homework, partying, getting laid) you are WAY better off just buying the keg and calling it good.

Great idea in theory...not so good in practice IMO That's just me though...I'm lazy

Last edited by broadbill; 10-23-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So I saw alot of you were kicking out 5 gallon batches for $20 or so. So a half-barrel of BMC would have to be more than $60 to make it worth your while brewing your own vs. buying the keg of BMC.

Now, when you take into account the value of your time making that 15 gallons of home-brew (time that could be better spend doing homework, partying, getting laid) you are WAY better off just buying the keg and calling it good.

Great idea in theory...not so good in practice IMO That's just me though...I'm lazy
But I'm not making BMC quality beer. Even before my home brew days I was drinking what stores call premium beers (Sam Adams, Bass Ale) which are $8.50 a 6 pack or like $30-34 a case. I can make 5 gallons (~2 cases) of beer that I enjoy for under $15 (the cost for 12 Sierra Nevadas). 2 cases of SNPA is going to cost me $60, whereas, even at my LHBS prices for a kit, it would still only cost me $35 at the most.

Also, this is a hobby. I enjoy it, and didn't get into it for the concept of saving money. I do it for the joy of doing it.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #25
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

Buying in bulk, I could make 15 gallons of an APA for less than $25. And, it's going to taste much better than BMC.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #26
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A 1/2 keg of BMC will cost you $86 with out a keg deposit. Most deposits are $50. Now of course if you don't already have a kegerator. You will have to rent a tap. I keep a BMC on stand by for freinds that do not drink good beer, large parties or if I screw up my pipeline (like right now). At the parites I just walk around with a mug of my homebrew, most people don't know or care. If someone wants to try my homebrew I get them a sample glass 3 ounces. If they like it, I don't mind sharing. I have found that this works out much better. You won't find full mugs beer sitting around your place. Cause someone didn't like or know what an IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, or what ever your might brew is.

If you are going to brew a 15 gallon batch. Just remember you have to store all your equipment some where?

Also like everyone else has said. Order your grain and hops online. Wash your yeast.

Best of luck!!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #27
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob View Post
I can understand the desire to brew beer that is more suitable for large groups who don't really like good beer. I know many people that don't want beer with the kind of complex flavors that I usually make.

I think it's kinda crappy of this site to be all arrogant about that and refuse to give the slightest amount of help to someone trying to make cheap beer for parties with people who don't think they like good beer.
It's not about being arrogant; it's about being focused. It is not arrogant to tell someone they're asking a question better asked somewhere else. HBT is focused on brewing the best possible beer one can brew. We'll give an infinite amount of help to people who want to do that. I, for one, don't want someone going about crowing about how I helped them brew something that tastes like it's been filtered through a horse; my name means something to me.

No homebrewer can brew BMC-type stuff for less than going to the beer store and picking up a 30-pack. Period. Not even if you buy malt by the ton. Because you've still got packaging - that costs money - dispensing - if gas is used - and above all the labor to brew the stuff in the first place. Equipment, even when amortized over time, still costs money, especially the equipment for large-batch all-grain brewing.

And, frankly, the only people who get my beer are people who appreciate it. People who just want to get drunk can buy their own damn booze. Since I can't sell it, I have to give it away. I'm damned if I give something to someone who's not going to appreciate it.

All that said, OP, you can still brew excellent beer that's also accessible to the drunks. You've gotten a lot of input on that in this thread. Even a $30 extract batch still puts you at $15 per case, which is generally lower than premium commercial brands.

Dunno why you'd want to, but that's your concern. I'd save my flavorful, hand-crafted beer for those who'd sooner reach for a Newcastle or Guinness than a Natty Ice. The Natty Ice crowd can buy their own!

Good luck to you!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
A 1/2 keg of BMC will cost you $86 with out a keg deposit. Most deposits are $50.
Is it safe to assume you meant 1/2 barrel ie: full keg?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #29
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Northernlad Yep you are right. That is the going rate down here.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #30
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan725 View Post
Hi all,

Just started brewing beer with a friend, and have been very happy with our results so far. I was wondering, however, what is usually recommended to make beers on the cheap? I am not expecting to make the best beers, but ideally something that is very cheap in large bulk and still better than Budweiser.

Hopefully I won't get flame for this, but my vision is to brew (1) 5-gallon batches of quality stuff for myself and my friends, and (2) simultaneously brew 15-30 gallon batches of cheap beer for things like frat parties.

Any tips or suggestions on where to start? For what we have been doing, it is usually about $30 per 5-gallon batch in extracts/grains/yeast, so not sure where and how to start cutting corners on the cheap batches.

Thanks so much,
Jordan
I sent you an answer in a P/M.

Quick Reply