Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing on a Budget ... Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
ardonthorn5
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Brewing on a Budget ... Advice?

So it's finally happened....after four years of marriage I've been forced to get into a joint account with the wife. As a part of that, we've both been given a weekly allotment of $50. This totally cuts into my homebrewing money. I'm pretty much ready to roll on 10 gallon batches, so i'm hoping to get some budget advice for my sometimes expensive hobby. I'm already prepared to buy sacks of grain base malt to make this happen and I have a Corona mill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonthorn5
So it's finally happened....after four years of marriage I've been forced to get into a joint account with the wife. As a part of that, we've both been given a weekly allotment of $50. This totally cuts into my homebrewing money. I'm pretty much ready to roll on 10 gallon batches, so i'm hoping to get some budget advice for my sometimes expensive hobby. I'm already prepared to buy sacks of grain base malt to make this happen and I have a Corona mill.
Well, obviously major expenses you'll have to save for but you should be able to handle batches at that amount, especially if you begin buying bulk and harvesting yeast. I can brew 6 gallon batches for about $20-25 and I buy hops by the pound.

Be prepared for a lot of "who wears the pants" comments

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

How did you get forced into a joint account and why does that mean you get an allowance?

Maybe you should get a side job that pays cash or deposits to an account that is yours.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bulk grains, bulk extract, bulk hops and re-use yeast.

I PM/PB and make an average beer of about 1.060. Including cost of equipment, I run about $0.50 a bottle, or about $25 for 5 gallons. Ingredients on their own, and it comes to about 2/3rd of that or about $18 for 5 gallons of my average beer.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
ardonthorn5
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i had already agreed to do the joint account, and we are working on saving money for upgrades to our house and kids. i may have some wiggle room with extra money depending on profit sharing at my job and such. i may go smaller on high OG batches or possibly partigyle when i can as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 40

my paycheck and the wife's paycheck both go into an account that pays bills, howevr about 1/3 of mine goes to my personal account straight from the job, and her as well. maybe you should try this out....

as for budget brewing, i suggest group buys.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
brian4508
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I brew 5 gallon batches for around $12-$15 per batch. Bulk grains. Bulk hops. Reuse yeast. We too have a joint account, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you plan your brews out correctly, you can brew once a week and still have cash left over for other things!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
glick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Buy everything in bulk that won't go bad and wash your yeast.

On a side note... I love having a joint account with my wife, it's all we have. No allowance though, just common sense.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can wash and re-use your yeast. That will save you $4 to $8 bucks per batch. Then buy in bulk like the others say. There was a thread going a while back about making 5 gallon batches for under $10 or something. Some were trying to make the most inexpensive beer they could manage. You can make what you want but learn from those posts. Check the archives.

I like beer

Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Cool, what upgrades are your kids getting?

Just messin'. I have four kids, newest one was born 11 days ago. I am broke and irresponsible with money, I brew every 2 weeks and I am not stopping, even for having another kid, even though I can't really afford it.

I do more than my share of the parenting though, even though I work full-time and she doesn't work much. So she can't complain about me taking a day every two weeks.

Good luck on econobrewing. Share any tips you figure out. I recently found out my LHBS does bulk cards, and started checking the other brew stores nearby (I'm in Los Angeles so there are options) and I'm going to start planning my grain purchases 'cause one shop has a great deal, but it is further away. So I'll buy recipes when I'm in that area, and save some without spending money driving.

Maybe ordering hops online is worth a lot too. I just got a scale, partly because I measured priming sugar wrong and messed up a batch and I don't want to do that again, but it is a tool I'll use for a long time and can save me money by not having to measure at the brew store, which is part of why I buy from them.

Quick Reply