Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing a big beer (1.150) would like some input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3730 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Use two pitches. Start with WLP007. Let that run it's course, you'll get like 10%+ then pitch a large amount of WLP099. You'll retain the flavor profile of the WLP007. Just keep the WLP099 under 70, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. And yes, oxygenate everytime you add more fermentables.

Oh, and add more hops. You need WAYYYYY more bitterness to balance this beer. I'll put it this way, I just made a DFH 120 minute clone (1.182 OG), and used 16oz of hops in a 5 batch. It's still unbalanced towards the sweet side, my pale ale is more bitter.

I would think you could get WLP007 and WLP099 combined to chew through an all malt 1.150 beer. You have the right idea of adding the fermentables slowly over time.
yes and yes and yes. this guy knows what he's talking about. Wish I read this before I made my first barleywine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
hartzie72
Recipes 

What are the concerns about oxygenating fermenting wert? Is this bad?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
diverpat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
yes and yes and yes. this guy knows what he's talking about. Wish I read this before I made my first barleywine.
I just found scottlands 120 clone thread. That is some good stuff right there! It makes me feel much more confident on my first trip into super high gravity land. Now I'm just tweaking the recipe to dry it out a little more.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzie72 View Post
What are the concerns about oxygenating fermenting wert? Is this bad?
You typically don't want to oxygenate your wort beyond the point fermentation starts for fears of oxygenating the beer. Oxygenated beers have a stale cardboard taste to them. Ever tasted day-old beer from a keg that was tapped with a party tap? Tastes like wet paper/cardboard.

I feel it's not a concern for big beers like these with fermentables that are added incrementally. Everytime you introduce new sugar, there's going to be yeast growth, which means oxygen pickup.

Diverpat: I think this is definitely do-able. Even if you want to go with 100% malt, and no sugar. There was a BYO article awhile back where a guy made a 21% ABV barley wine with 100% malt. He used WLP099 from the start though, I'd recommend against that.

Good read: http://www.byo.com/stories/technique...all-grain-beer

Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverpat View Post
I just found scottlands 120 clone thread. That is some good stuff right there! It makes me feel much more confident on my first trip into super high gravity land. Now I'm just tweaking the recipe to dry it out a little more.
I am also in the planning stages of an X-treme OG brew. You may want to consider dropping your crystal altogether. You can add some Belgian Candy syrup dark/amber in its place upping the fermentability.

Mine will be 6 gal. and 1.215. I plan to make a 13 gallon 1.080 brew first and split it in half using wlp028 on one half and wlp099 on the other. I'll use these two cakes for my X-treme brew. I will let the wlp028 cake chew on 2-3 gallons of the concentrated wort first. Then, I will pitch the 099 cake. I too will be adding the wort incrementally. I will, however, take some of the second runnings (I will double sparge) and boil them to one gallon and OG of approx. 1.100. I will pitch the wlp 028 on this while I'm boiling my wort down. This way I will have a LOT of very active yeast (I believe the technical term is a "metric asston"). One option I'm considering (the safer option) is to can the wort. I will add a heavy dose of nutrient at the end of the boil and pre dose each jar with yeast energizer. Then, hit each addition heavy with o2 BEFORE adding to the ferment. I will also add a gallon of concentrated wort to the ferment emediately after boil/chill and aerate every 4 hrs for the first 24hrs.

I'm also toying with a slow drip method, but I don't know that I will go that route. I like to experiment and play witht the extremes too

Good Luck and Cheers!

Edit-
@Scottland: I just read your afterthoughts on your DFH 120 clone, after I posted this. It was very helpful, thanks. I was glad to see that my plan is going in the right direction, according to your experience.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
diverpat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is a gallery of photos of the progress of this beast. There are descriptions in the captions.

http://diverpat.imgur.com/big_barleywine#XlmUJ

So far things are going well. It's fermenting away nicely after 3 days, 2 wort additions, one caramel sugar addition, and about 10 cu ft of oxygen. 24 hours after pitching and each wort addition it is fermenting down to 1.050. Hopefully the WLP099 will be ready to pitch tomorrow (it's taking it's sweet ass time dropping out) along with a little more caramel sugar.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #17
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Noob question: how does the fan help accelerate boiloff? What's the theory there?

A second question: I'm planning to pitch a 1.090 winter warmer on to the yeast cake from a 1.033 mild. It'll be my first time trying anything like that. In your opinion, does a 1.090 beer qualify as a "big" beer, to the point where I'll need to concern myself with adding wort in stages, adding pure oxygen each time, and pitching additional yeast, either during fermentation or bottling? My hope was that with yeast nutrients, a healthy, fresh yeast cake, and a single pitch of aerated wort, my 1.090 warmer would get below 1.020 without any problem.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #18
viking73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Why?????

I really can't understand why people keep trying to brew high alcohol beers that they really don't understand what the outcome is going to be. Would it be better to craft a beer that comes in around 10% first and try and perfect that before pushing higher. I would think that 10% would be about the limit, where different practices might need to be used.

I must confess that while I still don't really see any reason to brew anything above about 8%, I just did a Barleywine; currently at 1.018 from 1.100 (10.5%), and half of it will have oak and rum added which will take it to 12%. I expect to still have a lot of it come Xmas 2012.
Simply put? Because we want to. It's all part of the fun of the hobby. It's the spirit of exploration and awesomeness all wrapped up in a really badass beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverpat View Post
Here is a gallery of photos of the progress of this beast. There are descriptions in the captions.

http://diverpat.imgur.com/big_barleywine#XlmUJ

So far things are going well. It's fermenting away nicely after 3 days, 2 wort additions, one caramel sugar addition, and about 10 cu ft of oxygen. 24 hours after pitching and each wort addition it is fermenting down to 1.050. Hopefully the WLP099 will be ready to pitch tomorrow (it's taking it's sweet ass time dropping out) along with a little more caramel sugar.
That's a nice looking beer! Love that constant stream of yeast poo going into the blowoff!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have done 12% with US-05/1056/WLP001.

I actually have a mead that I recently made using red star bread yeast from Costco that is currently sitting right around 15% ABV. This was helped along using staggered nutrient additions.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #20
diverpat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Noob question: how does the fan help accelerate boiloff? What's the theory there?
It helps keep the boil over down so I could boil more vigorously. I think it may also move nice dry cool air over the surface which will aid in evaporation.

Quick Reply