Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut

Well, if you are reading this it is obvious that you have a sincere interest in beer. More than the average person, maybe even an obsession? Personally, I love all things beer, the history of it, the flavor, the smell, the process, the places I drink it, the people I drink it with, the memories I associate with the beers and good times. You all know where I am coming from.

So with my affinity for beer blooming into hombreweing and learning way more about beer than I ever thought I would know, comes this problem: excess caloric intake.

I am a workout fanatic, powerlifter, ex football guy..etc..etc.. I lift weights and do cardio 5 days a week..I am 30 years old and bench press over 400 pounds. By most measures I am in great shape.

I absolutely can't give up drinking beer, but I know that my taste for full flavored, delicious craft beers is certainly adding to my waistline. I usually like to have 2 beers an evening and on a weekend day I'll drink maybe 4-6 through the course of the day. I am not a binge drinker or anything stupid like that, but beer is my favorite beverage. If SWMBO wouldn't complain I would drink stout for breakfast

Anyways, I have found that all I can do is try to limit my beer drinking and I have started an initiative to no longer drink beer every night of the week. only on Fridays and Saturdays. I have over 400 bottles of beer conditioning........man for depressing! Maybe I should just gift some? Or I should just be happy with my ponch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just cut a few calories you'd usually eat - like desert or cheese (on hamburgers, potatoes, etc). Or you could up the cardio.

I was just saying the other night, I need to brew a lighter beer. Although I think I might just up my cardio and enjoy my brews.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would say to change your diet during the day. More veggies and less meat.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_beer View Post
Just cut a few calories you'd usually eat - like desert or cheese (on hamburgers, potatoes, etc). Or you could up the cardio.

I was just saying the other night, I need to brew a lighter beer. Although I think I might just up my cardio and enjoy my brews.

I already follow a strict body building style of diet, and do 5-7 15-30 minute HIIT sessions of cardio a week. The beers can add 450-700 calories a day to your caloric intake depending on ABV and such. A pint of a nice winter warmer will hit you with 300 cal and a bunch of empty calories. I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.
I have heard this from numerous sources. I don't think you can drink beer regularly and expect to be in tip top shape. Many diets tell you to eliminate beer altogether. Like everything with health, though, I think the key is moderation.

Your plan to eliminate beer during the week and only have it during the weekend is a good one, I think. As for your many bottles of beer, invite some people over during the weekend to enjoy your brew as well! You can probably have one on a weekday from time to time, just don't make it a regular practice. I think of beer as an occasional treat, like you would a piece of candy.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Handle
Recipes 

I'm trying to scale back a little bit as well, but that may change when I actually start brewing.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I already follow a strict body building style of diet, and do 5-7 15-30 minute HIIT sessions of cardio a week. The beers can add 450-700 calories a day to your caloric intake depending on ABV and such. A pint of a nice winter warmer will hit you with 300 cal and a bunch of empty calories. I am starting to think that is almost unrealistic to drink full flavored beer on a consistent basis and maintain 10% or less body fat.
Well, this is very true. I used to work out crazy like that, I still try to keep decent shape. But no more 5 miles a day for me. Although perhaps you should try brewing some lighter, more sessionable beers. Or like mojo said, limit it to the weekends.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm screwed, I'm starting to keg... I figure as long as I eat well and exercise regularly, I'll be just fine, even if i don't look like 1980's Arnold:

Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I hear your concerns. I've noticed since I got back into homebrewing ~8 mos ago I feel a little thicker in the belly area. I too am trying not to have a beer a night but, man it's so hard when you know you have a tasty, beautiful smelling "treat" just out in the garage waiting for you to push that tap handle. Plus, I think it's even harder when you know you've created it yourself! I was trying to only have 1 pint a night during the week but now I'm trying to limit to only maybe 1 pint Mon-Wed and just a couple per day Thurs-Sunday. I only work a 4 day week.

The good things in life!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

well if you 30 now then I would say ................... resistance is futile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give in to the beer gut. It is only a matter of time anyway.

I mean when you weight the options it definately is not worth giving up (or scaling back) homebrew consumption. And if you are employed or have a SWMBO (or worse ...... both) good luck finding time to maintain that vigorous exercise routine.

Quick Reply