Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > brewing in the basement?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
barside laundry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing in the basement?

I have been making for about 3 years and I always brew outside. My basement appears to perfect for brewing as I have a sink, gas hook up, nice counters. So am I looking for advice about actually brewing in the basement. I cannot take my propane bottle down there (that just seems wrong), what about electric heating elements? What about tapping into my house's gas line (which I installed) and use a natural gas burner? Ventilation?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barside laundry
I have been making for about 3 years and I always brew outside. My basement appears to perfect for brewing as I have a sink, gas hook up, nice counters. So am I looking for advice about actually brewing in the basement. I cannot take my propane bottle down there (that just seems wrong), what about electric heating elements? What about tapping into my house's gas line (which I installed) and use a natural gas burner? Ventilation?

Thanks
The biggest thing I'd worry about is ventilation. As you brew, CO is being produced, and CO sinks (heavier than air). As you are already in the basement, where's it going to sink to? If you can properly vent the area you are brewing in, you may be OK, but high BTU burners are just not meant to be used indoors. To me it's an unacceptable risk.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, Propane burner indoors=trouble.
I have worked out a compromise to brew outdoors but still have all the conveniences of my kitchen. I have taken over a corner of my basement where I have my worktable, racks and fridge. Right next to my area is door to my backyard. I set up my burner outside the door along with a smaller folding table and chair. Do all my prep work in the basement, then go outside to brew The only thing I do in my kitchen is steep my specialty grains and I'm looking for a small electric burner that I can use downstairs so I may never have to come back up again. My wife would love that

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That sounds like my setup. All my equipment is in the basement, right by the door to the back yard. On the other side of the door is a washtub for the laundry area. It's really convinient to just carry everything right out the door, set up, and brew. Clean up is easy too with the oversize washtub/sink.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Quick Reply