Brewing around a cat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my only problem with brewing around cats is that they're always right where i'm about to step holding a kettle of 5 gallons of hot wort

We call cat hair "garnish" at our house

+1

We have 5 (count 'em five) cats and a chocolate lab roaming about the place at any one time. (my daughter also has a couple of pet rat's) We've learned to become one with the fur.

I've had a few infected batches, not sure if the animals are to blame, there's no way to know.

I just make sure to clean all applicable brewing surfaces and doorknobs with starsan. I also do a thorough vacuuming of the house the night before brew day; and be sure to keep all fans and air conditioners turned off.

when i brewed inside i was always worried that my cat would run between my legs or step under my foot when i was carrying a full stock pot, but luckily he stayed out of the kitchen while i brewed.

With two dogs and a cat, pet fur is also a garnish at my house. The cat usually leaves me alone while brewing and watches from across the room, the dogs however do their best to trip me. I have found cat hair in my wort but never had a problem from it.

With two dogs and a cat, pet fur is also a garnish at my house. The cat usually leaves me alone while brewing and watches from across the room, the dogs however do their best to trip me. I have found cat hair in my wort but never had a problem from it.
Finally, I get that... Pretty slow as I get older.

Dry dust, wet wash, sweep and mop the kitchen the night before and day of brewing. Clean your equipment right before brewing and as you go.

It sounds like a lot of cleaning, but it's not really. I think most of us tend to clean up more before brewing than regular cooking anyway.

No worries. I have a cat periodically (long story) and a Golden Retriever full time. Just not worth it to worry about the hair.

Back