Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewhouse Kits - looking for opinions and reviews. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #21
ajk170
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
Fair warning: The Oktoberfest needs to age 3mo plus to be any good. After 4mo it gets REALLY good.
IS that the Brew House Octoberfest? Primary or secondary or just total? I am considering this one or should I wait till Nov 1 and order the Winter Ale - I suspect that needs just as long to be great?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #22
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

About 2 weeks in the primary, a month in the secondary, and 3-4 months in the keg @ 40deg

Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Posted by Joe Camel

They do make excellent beers and are not that expensive, we pay $30 - 35 per box up here for a 5 gallon batch.

and

The wort in a brewhouse bag is a concentrate, I believe it's 3 gallons to make a 5 gallon batch by adding water. You can forgo the water if you want, for example with the stout kit, and make an imperial, or add 1 gallon of water for a slightly weaker but still strong stout.
I checked with my LHBS today.

He said they sell the Brewhouse kits for $44US, and that they make a 6 gallon batch.

However, when I scanned the RJ Spagnols brochure, they state that the Brewhouse kits make a 15L/3.96Gal batch.

I realize that the prices will differ because of the difference between Canadian vs US dollars, if nothing else, but the differences between the size of the batches is my concern.

Can someone clarify the size of the batch these kits make?

They also carry True Brew kits which make a 5 gallon batch, and sell for $34US.

As a first timer, the bigger batch for less money seems like a no brainer.

Can anyone offer a comparison between the True Brew kits, and the Brewhouse kits, taste-wise?

Pogo

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

He said they sell the Brewhouse kits for $44US, and that they make a 6 gallon batch.

However, when I scanned the RJ Spagnols brochure, they state that the Brewhouse kits make a 15L/3.96Gal batch.

I realize that the prices will differ because of the difference between Canadian vs US dollars, if nothing else, but the differences between the size of the batches is my concern.

Can someone clarify the size of the batch these kits make?

They also carry True Brew kits which make a 5 gallon batch, and sell for $34US.

As a first timer, the bigger batch for less money seems like a no brainer.

Can anyone offer a comparison between the True Brew kits, and the Brewhouse kits, taste-wise?

Pogo
The Brew House kits can make anywhere from 5 gallons to six gallons. The difference lying in the amount of "top off water" a person uses. I personally only use ~4 liters of "top water" and it make a little over the 5 gallon mark.

In fact a person could forego any top water and just brew the 15L of wort. I few of the kits suggest other variations that the kit will yeild if a person doesn't use extra water.

I'm not sure about the other one you mentioned, somebody else might comment on that.

If you're a first timer, I say try the Brew House - it's like the others have said, it lets you concentrate on the sanatize, yeast, secondary (if you choose) and patience game before boing into the extract or AG. And a good beer will result from your first time giving you more confidence in the craft.

That price is about what I pay as well so the HBS isn't ripping you either.

Let us know what you do!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
FWIW, I've never seen a True Brew kit that wasn't an extract kit. Brew House is a finished wort in a bag. Pour, pitch, ferment.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #26
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Pogo
I think the 15L is the amount of concentrated wort in the bag. You then add 8 L of top off water to get 5 Gallons Canadian/ 6 American.

As others have said you can forgo the top off water. RJ Spagnols claims you can make Duppels, Strong Golden's & Doppelbock's this way. I've never done this but I'm a little skeptical. The difference in a Munich Dark Lager and a Doppelbock is more than just SG. Still there is no doubt you would get a beer with the ABV of a Dobbelbock.

So to sum add the 8L of top up water to get 23L of 5% ABV beer.

Rudeboy

Movementarians: Would you rather have beer, or complete and utter contentment?
Homer: What kind of beer?
Kegged Ready: Dry Stout; Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #27
messler
Recipes 

I'm currently brewing the Brewhouse Irish Stout that uses munich dark as the base and then calls for roast and flaked barely to be added in the extra water.

I'm thinking of my next beer, which i'd mabye like to be an Scotch ale... but i'm not married to it... and I was wondering if anyone has any great brewhouse hacks they'd want to post.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #28
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by messler View Post
I'm thinking of my next beer, which i'd mabye like to be an Scotch ale... but i'm not married to it... and I was wondering if anyone has any great brewhouse hacks they'd want to post.
I put a few up on an older thread here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/brew...74/#post618579

By the way, these kits rock. My brother-in-law had done all-grain brewing, but mostly sticks to these kits because they are such high quality. He even won a silver medal at MCAB last year (in a VERY competitive category) with a hacked Brewhouse kit.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #29
glockentalk
Recipes 

I've been homebrewing for 6 months, and have made 10 Brewhouse kits. For me, the thrill is in the constant variety with the assurance of high quality. I've been using wyeast from the get-go. I've made a few minor mods. I added juice from a flat of raspberries to the stout. I added yarrow (a herb used in gruit beer) to both stout and oktoberfest. I added some spice and coffee to the winterfest. All results are excellent. The price is very good: 2 kits + 1 yeast / mo < $C100, which is considerably less than I used to pay retail for beer and wine. I only consume about 1 kit/mo, but I make two in order to build up some stock for aging.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to agree that the Brewhouse kits are wonderful quality - maybe that's the reason that this rather small operation from Canada has been able to sell a fairly heavy (rather than a concentrate in a can) box of wort as far as the southeast US.

I have been a customer at the Spagnols shop for a number of years - I buy grapes from them for wine, which was the basis of their original business in the local Italian community.

The price at source for a brewhouse kit is from $24 to $30 Canadian dollars but of course there is a considerable cost to shipping these heavy boxes elsewhere.

The clever trick is the use of phosphoric acid to help preserve the pasteurized wort. When you brew the kit you add calcium carbonate to neutralize the acid.

Quick Reply