Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewhouse Kits - looking for opinions and reviews. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Joe Camel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The wort in a brewhouse bag is a concentrate, I believe it's 3 gallons to make a 5 gallon batch by adding water. You can forgo the water if you want, for example with the stout kit, and make an imperial, or add 1 gallon of water for a slightly weaker but still strong stout.

The same can be done with all their kits, tripel, dubbel and bock from the same kit.

The one thing I'd recommend, though is to toss the bag of yeast that comes with the kit and go with a smakpak of liquid. I used a bag of the Coopers yeast in an all-grain batch I did before and it tasted like a kit beer. I think some of the "twang" you get from kit beers comes from the yeast.

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Chupacabras
Recipes 

I work at a brew shop here in St. John's NL, and I've gotta say that the Brewhouse kits are the best thing going for a non-all-grainer (Partial mashes can be good, but I've yet to see one that's as good as a Brewhouse.). They're not all that much more expensive considering a can of malt, bag of dextrose and priming sugar equal out to about $25 these days, compared to $32 for the Brewhouse. Everyone I've turned on to it from the cans has yet to go back, and I do try and turn everyone on to it. (I can't stand people making those damn cans with dextrose. Unless, of course, after trying the cans with dextrose and the brewhouse they decide to stick to the cans. You can lead a horse to water...) Anyways, there is a fair bit of tweaking you can do, check out the thebrewhouse.com for different recipes using the kit as the base.
There are other kits like the Brewhouse, FestaBrew is one that comes to mind, although we don't carry it here for fear of lack of cost effectiveness. If you're on the Canadian mainland, I'd recommend checking it out.

Here's a plug for my boss. Check Brewery Lane out if you live in Atlantic Canada.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
B-rad
Recipes 

I have made three of these kits and plan on making many many more.. The festa Brew kits are just as good as these too.. If not better..

Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 AM   #14
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
I have made three of these kits and plan on making many many more.. The festa Brew kits are just as good as these too.. If not better..
I've never seen a festa brew kit- that is interesting to think that there are better ones out there! I'll have to look into those and see what they are like!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #15
B-rad
Recipes 

Festa Brew is the same idea... but you dont have to add water... 23L of wort

Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah my first brew was a festa brew double outmeal stout. It turned out really good but I never made another one. I guess I never thought of tweeking them to make different beers out of them. It was kind of cool though cause you just pour it into your fermenter, add yeast, and wait.... not much equipment needed.

The guy that sold me the festa brew said it would be a good start so I could concentrate on sanitizing and stuff like that instead of boiling, cooling, and hops. I thought it was a great way to get into the hobby.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fair warning: The Oktoberfest needs to age 3mo plus to be any good. After 4mo it gets REALLY good.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

sounds very interesting, anyone know where they can be bought online? i checked vendors site and they dont have any information for my state (NY), i dont have any stores anywhere near me either so online or nothing are my options.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 10-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #19
jmartyg
Recipes 

I use the Festa Brew stuff. i've made the Blonde lager, Dry lager a few times and right now i have a West Coast IPA in a secondary. You're looking at $30-$40 per box in PEI Canada. which is only a few dollas more compared to the extract cans at $15 (plus DME, dextrose and whatever else you want to make the can's half decent).

right now, i liek the Dry (low carb) lager with dextrose added to bring it up to 1.044OG. Not really low carb after that. Really good clean 'hot day' beer. I'm not sure about the IPA yet though, as i'm a lager fan and a jump to about 50IBU might not cut it for me.

for some reason, the store that sells Brewhouse is arond $40 for a basic lager...and i prefer the guys who run the store that sells the Festa magnotta brand.

http://theconfessions.net/beer.JPG

Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #20
ajk170
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivzavod View Post
sounds very interesting, anyone know where they can be bought online? i checked vendors site and they dont have any information for my state (NY), i dont have any stores anywhere near me either so online or nothing are my options.
Are you talking Feista or Brewhouse? If Brew House, I know for a fact that the Weekend Brewer out of Chester, VA will ship (plus shipping costs of course). Bob is a good guy and is happy to give suggestions as to hacking the Brew House kits. I'm pretty sure Wine & Cakes out of Norfolk, VA will ship (plus shipping costs) as well, you just have to call them to order the Brew House - they don't stock ithem like the Weekend Brewer does - but they are great people as well.

I don't know anything about Feista Brew so somebody esle will have to talk that instead.

I would recommend trying at least one Brew House kit despite the additional costs because they are worth trying (or Fiesta). So much so, you might be able to convince your own HBS to carrry them or at the minimum special order them from thier distributor for you. That's what my HBS is doing for me since I assure them 2 or 3 per order.

Quick Reply