Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewfest Tasting Glasses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
MarkNugent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewfest Tasting Glasses

After attending a couple of brewfests this summer I realized holding the tasting glasses for 3+ hours is a pain. I got a little tipsy and kept forgetting it on tables and I saw a couple people drop and break them. I ended up making a leather belt holster for the glass to make it easier for me. Only problem is that it will only fit a 4 ounce tasting glass. I've only been to brewfests in Alabama and Tennessee and two out of three used the same size glass. Do most brewfests use similar glasses? What types of glasses have they given you at a brewfest?

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the size of the glass and the holster.

glass-12oz-bottle.jpg   holster-glass.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

The ones Ive been to usually use 3-4 oz glass/cups. I volunteer at some of the events in Memphis and they tell us to only pour 2 oz per customer. So I would bet that your holder will work for almost any brewfest.

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

The only beer event that I've been to that didn't use something similar to what have is SAVOR, there they give you a small goblet/wine glass looking thing.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1699 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 696

NoVA Brewfest gave us 6 oz (I think) pilsner tasting glasses. It's the first time I've been, so I don't know if that's the norm.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
SayWhat1
Recipes 

I think 4 oz is pretty standard. I've been to a few here in the Central Coast area and all of them used 4 oz glasses.

There's a cool little thing they were selling at one of the festivals. I had to pick it up, because they gave us really nice glasses to taste and I didn't want to lay it down somewhere and forget it. The rings are even interchangeable. The one on there now is for a regular pint glass. I was going to put the 4oz ring in there too, but I seemed to have misplaced it. Oh, the guys were calling it a beer caddy.

The festival was the Bay Area Craft Beer Festival last October.

cimg0005.jpg  

Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

This is sort of why I started making 40 holsters. Probably wouldn't work so well for tastings though...
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=IMG_0426.jpg
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=IMG_0424.jpg

Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
This is sort of why I started making 40 holsters. Probably wouldn't work so well for tastings though...
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=IMG_0426.jpg
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=IMG_0424.jpg
That's cool, I would love one of those to hold a bomber while I am at a friends house or venturing around.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
MarkNugent
Recipes 

I was thinking about putting mine on a lanyard but I didn't want it to interfere with my pretzel necklace. But I like the ring idea so you can use different size glasses. Walking around with a half full pint around my neck might get tiresome though. Have you used yours much? Does it bother your neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat1 View Post
I think 4 oz is pretty standard. I've been to a few here in the Central Coast area and all of them used 4 oz glasses.

There's a cool little thing they were selling at one of the festivals. I had to pick it up, because they gave us really nice glasses to taste and I didn't want to lay it down somewhere and forget it. The rings are even interchangeable. The one on there now is for a regular pint glass. I was going to put the 4oz ring in there too, but I seemed to have misplaced it. Oh, the guys were calling it a beer caddy.

The festival was the Bay Area Craft Beer Festival last October.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Looks nice, but I never know until I get there if the glass will be a pint, a 12 oz mug, 4 oz taster, etc. $ oz was very common in California, but the glass styles varied.

I've got a mug holder that threads on my belt and a smaller holder that was originally for a mead horn.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply