Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewery's to visit in the PNW

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
kawickstrom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewery's to visit in the PNW

I will be vacationing in the pacific northwest and down to Monterey, CA. I will be driving through Washington, Oregon, and going through Redwood and San Fransico as well. I wanted to ask all of you if there are any breweries I should stop by or any beers that I should pick up while I am out there. I am hoping you guys can help me have a good time ha..

Last edited by kawickstrom; 05-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Decypher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's going to be a big list. I'm not too familiar with breweries in Washington or NoCal, but I spent the first 25 years of life in Oregon so I can offer a few suggestions. If you can only visit two breweries in all of Oregon, make sure you hit Rogue and Deschutes. Rogue is available all over the US, but there are a lot of beers at their pubs that you can't find on the East coast (try John-John, awesome). Deschutes doesn't distribute anywhere East of the Mississippi but has an annual capacity of about 200,000 bbl, so it might be the biggest brewery you've never heard of.

This sounds like a pretty long trip, so I imagine you want to stay close to I-5. There's a Rogue and Deschutes within walking distance of each other in the Pearl District in Portland and Bridgeport is a ten minute walk North. There's also a Rogue in Eugene (my hometown).

A lot of people might tell you to stay away from the bigger breweries and focus on the smaller ones, but there's two good reasons to go to them; 1. In the case of Rogue and Deschutes, they're two of the top breweries in Oregon for a reason, they're good; 2. They have a lot of beers on tap you can't find on the East coast.

Other than that, the best thing to do is go to the Northwest Brewing News map and start crossing them off the list.

I would recommend:
Deschutes
Rogue
Bridgeport
Ninkasi (tasting room only)
Alameda
Hopworks
Laurelwood

Try to get to a McMenamin's if you have time. The beer is ok and the food usually isn't that great, but their locations are old schools, hotels, and theaters and such, which makes for a pretty cool experience. My favorite location of theirs is the Kennedy School.

P.S. Get your hop hat on and pucker up.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you roll through Seattle, go to Pike brewery in the market or Elysian on Capitol Hill. Possibly the best bar ever is in Fremont neighborhood. It's called Brouwer's and has over 50 taps, most of which are pretty rare and always changing. I went their last weekend and they had like 30 sour beers on tap. It was awesome.

If you go through Olympia on I-5 stop by Fish brewing.

Last edited by jmo88; 05-25-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't forget Anchor Brewing in San Fran.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
velosim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Possibly the best bar ever is in Fremont neighborhood. It's called Brouwer's and has over 50 taps, most of which are pretty rare and always changing.
+1

If you are really into going to breweries, then within about 1 mile of Brouwers are the Breweries (and tap rooms) for Hales, Maritime Pacific and Fremont Brewing. One of the HBT'ers owns a great little brew pub called Naked City a few miles north of Brouwers (which is in Fremont) which features a couple of their own beers plus over 20 NW craft beers on tap and good food too.

Primary: nothing
Secondary: cherry lambic, lager
Kegged: Brandon O's Graff, BB Porter Clone, WITness Protection Program
Bottled: Trappist 3.0, Saison, Big Old Ale (bourbon oaked)

Addicted to homebrewing, not to drinking homebrew, i think...

Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Olddog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decypher View Post
Try to get to a McMenamin's if you have time. The beer is ok and the food usually isn't that great, but their locations are old schools, hotels, and theaters and such, which makes for a pretty cool experience. My favorite location of theirs is the Kennedy School.
My favorite is Grand Lodge. But Kennedy School and Edgefield are both great also.

I have good memories of the Deschutes Brewery pub in Bend, Oregon as well as the Rogue Brewery in Newport.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
The beer is ok and the food usually isn't that great, but their locations are old schools, hotels, and theaters and such, which makes for a pretty cool experience. My favorite location of theirs is the Kennedy School.
I am getting married at their Old St Francis location in Bend in July! Their 'Grateful Dead' bar/patio.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Decypher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddog View Post
My favorite is Grand Lodge. But Kennedy School and Edgefield are both great also.

I have good memories of the Deschutes Brewery pub in Bend, Oregon as well as the Rogue Brewery in Newport.
I used to live about a ten minute walk from the Grand Lodge, and stumbled home many a night from the yardhouse. They sell growlers in mason jars... priceless.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decypher View Post
Try to get to a McMenamin's if you have time.
If you have a long list and need to know who to drop first, drop McMenamins. I have vowed to never return to any McMenamins establishment again. And I got married at a McM's, they were my first exposure to PNW craft beer before moving out here and had a huge impact on my decision to move. BUT, I've had nothing but bad experiences at multiple locations over the past 3 years.

Anyway, they actual locations are neat, but don't expect much beyond that.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
impur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
If you have a long list and need to know who to drop first, drop McMenamins. I have vowed to never return to any McMenamins establishment again. And I got married at a McM's, they were my first exposure to PNW craft beer before moving out here and had a huge impact on my decision to move. BUT, I've had nothing but bad experiences at multiple locations over the past 3 years.

Anyway, they actual locations are neat, but don't expect much beyond that.
Couldn't agree more. McMenamins is not a great experience. You will, however, get to see just how bad customer service can be if you do stop there.

My suggestions would be:

Pike
Bridgeport
Rogue in Newport - great setting awesome food
Deschutes
Ninkasi - best IPA there is
Hopworks

If you are into wine at all, King Estates is a great place to tour. My brother in law is the head winemaker at Abecela winery just south of Roseburg. Great great wine.

Quick Reply