Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewery Job

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
cayergeau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brewery Job

I'm looking to break into the world of brewing full time. This is the only thing that I've truly been passionate about, but I'm really stuck on the **** end of the stick, where it sounds like I need all sorts of expensive certifications and such to even have a chance of getting a job. Even if I were to get those, no programs that I've found have any openings until 2014 or so, and I can't last until then at my current job or income. Now I know that brewing isn't going to make me the next Bill Gates, but I just want to do something that's going to make me happy in life.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all as to how I can go about getting a job doing anything at a brewery for money?

I drink, therefore I am.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Check out Probrewer.com classifieds and talk to every brewery you'd be willing to work for/drive to, good luck as many people are thinking the same thing. Some places want a degree of some sort, but many are happy with homebrewers or beer enthusiasts.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
cayergeau
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll check that out now. Any advice from anyone that's perhaps working at a brewery or has a friend that does?

I realize that a lot of people are probably looking to get jobs in the industry, but I'm not just someone looking for a "cool" job. I'm actually interested and the fact that it's a cool job is just a major plus.

I drink, therefore I am.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The head brewer at NOLA brewery offered to work for free for a while when she first started in the industry. With in I think a few weeks she got a paying job. Seems like the way to go in a lot of industries these days.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 115

If you have any local breweries, get to know the brewers there. I have two friends that were just hired by breweries with only homebrew experience. It was all because of the relationships they had built with the local breweries. Good luck.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
The Hook Hefeweizen
Breakdown Belgian Pale Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Lager
Poor Mans Porter
Nelson Brett Saison
Smoked Dog Smoked Roggenbier

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Think hard about what you can offer the brewery. Working hard doesn't count. Everyone "is a hard worker" willing "to do whatever it takes to get their foot in the door."

Why should they hire you? Have an answer. Doesn't have to be something fancy like a degree. Just something that you offer that others don't.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
cayergeau
Recipes 

gmcapone: do you happen to know if NOLA was looking to hire more people? I've talked to most breweries in NH and they all said the same thing: "We're not actively looking to add more people right now, but we'll keep your info on file."

Schemy: Would you recommend just volunteering my time there like gmcapone suggested?

Also, how would I go about asking to volunteer and such? When the people I've talked to in the past couple weeks in HR at the breweries give me that answer, I finish by asking them to let me know if there are any volunteer opportunities that I would be able to help with. Is this the right route? Or should I be trying to email the brewers directly if their emails are provided?

I drink, therefore I am.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
gmcapone
Recipes 

I have no clue, sorry. I just met and talked with her at bars a few times and some beer events. I know she started at Abita, I think that was where she volunteered her time initially.

Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayergeau View Post
Schemy: Would you recommend just volunteering my time there like gmcapone suggested?

Also, how would I go about asking to volunteer and such? When the people I've talked to in the past couple weeks in HR at the breweries give me that answer, I finish by asking them to let me know if there are any volunteer opportunities that I would be able to help with. Is this the right route? Or should I be trying to email the brewers directly if their emails are provided?
I don't think it could hurt. Establish a relationship first. I would do that by asking the brewer questions. Bring in some homebrew for some feedback. Let them know what kind of brewer you are. Are you the rigid minded brewer that sticks to guidelines? Are you the free spirited Belgian minded brewing to taste? Let them know you and your beer. Email, in person, at a tasting, whatever. Don't be annoying about it, but establish yourself as a homebrewer with pointed questions. Once you have established that relationship, inquire about volunteering for a day. Inquire about a colaboration. Just get to know people in the industry, show you have a mind for brewing, and something will fit. I doubt it will be over night, so be patient and keep homebrewing to hone your skills. If you can even maybe get some ribbons (not what I would do) to establish your skills and legtimize your brewing, that may help.

Edit: Emailing out of the blue to volunteer may not be the best. They don't know you, don't know your beer, don't know your style. You're just some dude off the street, just like the other 20 emails I got the day before, and the 20 emails I'll get the day after. Establish a relationship, even with one brewery, all these guys/gals know each other and they talk. If you have a good relationship and your guy knows someone is looking to fill a spot, you may find yourself in that spot. That is how one of my friends got in.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
The Hook Hefeweizen
Breakdown Belgian Pale Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Lager
Poor Mans Porter
Nelson Brett Saison
Smoked Dog Smoked Roggenbier

Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
gmcapone
Recipes 

I would say go to the brewery in person to offer if you are able to. I hate how so many businesses only accept resumes online nowadays. It's such a faceless medium. All employers see you as is a resume, it makes it very easy for them to disregard you. If you go in person though they can get to know you as a person and will be more inclined to consider hiring you.

Quick Reply