Brewery - dairy equipment - book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico

Reaction score
Hey,

I don't really know what forum to post this in so I just ask here.
One of my friends just inherited a old dairy farm and we were both talking about starting a brewery before.
I once read about a book that describes on how to set up a brewery with old dairy equipment. Does anyone knows what it is called? I already tried to google it but can't find anything.

Thanks

Check out the equipment. If you can put fire under it us it to boil, if you can put wort in it and keep it cool, ferment in it or bright tank it. Use some creative licence and your own knowledge about the process to see what you can re-purpose.

And I don't know the book, what size brewery are you talking about here? because I guess fire under it might not be too good an idea if you want a few or more barrels, hun?

I believe dogfish head used some dairy equipment as fermentation vessels in the early years. Sam mentions it in his book, but no details.

Lightning Brewery in Poway, CA, uses some old dairy equipment for fermentation purposes mostly, which seems like where storage and quantity would be most relevant for entry into commercial brewing. The founder and head brewer, Jim, is an approachable guy. I suspect he'd field some more specific questions for you--they have a website with contacts. They make some unique beers compared to the IPA dominated san diego scene.

I know Sprecher in Milwaukee uses old milk tanks for fermenters. They just fitted them with makeshift sight glasses made of some type of plastic tubing I think.

Rogue started with milk tanks and still uses a couple to this day. I went on a tour of their brewery a few months ago and it was funny to see nice shiny new fermenters right next to old milk tanks wrapped in insulation.

You should be able to use some of the equipment the question is weather or not your are up to brewing 1200 gallon batches. :drunk:

BrewPastor on here apparently started that way... may have some handy information on this. Also has some writups on the process "dont try this at home" parts 1-4 i think.

Theres a book on Amazon about making/converting equip for beer making. I'll post the link if I find it.

Thanks for all the useful tips. I will for sure try to get in contact with some of the breweries named.

Was the book called Frankenbrew?
No, that was not it. But it also sounds quite interesting!!

I think it was an older book from like the 90s or 80s and it had a blue and white cover.

There are 2 people you should consider hiring. A consultant experienced un converting dairy equipment and setting up a complete brewery and an experienced head brewer. Even if u hire them for a short time it will save you time, money and likely your businesses future

There is a book called "The Brewery Planner" that was a predecessor to "Starting Your Own Brewery" - It has a section on building a brewery from dairy equipment. Unfortunately, it is exepensive as hell to get. Here's a link -

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Brewery-Planner-1991-Paperback/1198591&tg=info

Frankenbrew was a short informational video (not a book AFAIK) - however, it does have some details on converting dairy equipment into brewery equipment.

Back