Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewers best kit belgian triple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I did an electric blanket wrap for 2 days, probably brought the beer temp up to about 76-78, but didn't do a dip-stick thermometer, so that's a guess.

2 days elec blanket. Another week at room temp. Bottled yesterday (day 24 in primary) I did get another 0.02 off the FG, but that may have been the extra 10 days. And the beer is remarkably clearer now. Could also be time dependent, not temperature. But anyway. I kegged 3 gallons and bottled the rest.

Cheers

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 View Post
I went to my LHBS and saw this kit on the shelf for $42. Couldn't resist bringing it home. I brewed on 11/23. Used a big starter.. S-04 >36 hours with two batches of 2c water and 1/2c DME. Added 1 tsp Diammonium Phosphate @ 10 min left. I also added 1/2 cup of Turbinado sugar.

Put all the sugars in at the start of boil.

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know. So today I wrapped it in an electric blanket hopefully will rouse the yeast once it warms a little and can milk a few more points off the gravity.
You used S-04?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
Recipes 

S-04. Yup. That's what came in the kit. Made a good size starter. It took off really well and fermented hard for about 5 days.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
S-04. Yup. That's what came in the kit. Made a good size starter. It took off really well and fermented hard for about 5 days.
You got robbed. Totally the wrong yeast.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #35
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I went to my LHBS and saw this kit on the shelf for $42. Couldn't resist bringing it home. I brewed on 11/23. Used a big starter.. S-04 >36 hours with two batches of 2c water and 1/2c DME. Added 1 tsp Diammonium Phosphate @ 10 min left. I also added 1/2 cup of Turbinado sugar.

Put all the sugars in at the start of boil.

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know. So today I wrapped it in an electric blanket hopefully will rouse the yeast once it warms a little and can milk a few more points off the gravity.
It doesn't taste like you would expect a tripel to taste like because of the yeast! You won't get all that great Belgian yeast flavors with s-04. Not sure what you brewed but I wouldn't call it a Belgian style tripel.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #36
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirge
Yeah I actually just popped one of mine, carbonation is going well but it's sweet, thick. I was drinking it room temperature to get the full flavor profile (75f) and it's a bit banana smelling, hint in the taste but not gross.

If I had to do it again I would let it sit in primary longer and really let it ferment, also lower temp, I would love to have done it around 67f instead of 70-71f.
Most belgians are supposed to be a bit banana flavored, but there should be some clove and spice as well from the yeast. You probably want to hit mid 70's during fermentation, but starting slow (64-68) and ramping up to 71-72 over a few days will make a bi difference vs. starting at 72. I brew more saisons then triples so someone call me out if I'm off base (note that I start saisons the same way but drive temps up as high as 80 over 1-2 weeks)

Also, your size of pitch will make a big difference. The more your yeast colony has to expand, the more they get stressed, and the more "interesting" flavors you get.

In order from more banana/clove flavors to less:

- pitch 1 packet of dry yeast directly in fermenter
- pitch a packet rehydrated in sterile water
- pitch multiple rehydrated yeast packets
- pitch a large starter of liquid yeast

As a previous poster mentioned, type of yeast also makes a big difference.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #37
Recipes 

Hahaha. I don't know what I brewed either. I guessed (wrongly) that the kit had all the correct ingredients-including yeast. I realize I should have used T-58 or a liquid Belgian strain. But hey live and learn, right?

Living in the country don't make you a country boy. And adding Belgian sugar don't make it a Belgian beer!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Hahaha. I don't know what I brewed either. I guessed (wrongly) that the kit had all the correct ingredients-including yeast. I realize I should have used T-58 or a liquid Belgian strain. But hey live and learn, right?
Right! Hey it's still beer!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #39
Recipes 

Turned out very well. Very well! Tastes like I'm drinking a 7.7% pastry. Creamy. Bready. Mellow. Slight fruit hints. I'll be making it again. And I'll be more mindful of the yeast selection, as for now I can't complain about a thing.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
Geohound
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Gravity today (Day 13) is 1.024. Tastes good. Not what I would expect a Belgium style Tripel to taste like at this point, but what do I know.
Belgium beers get their flavor mostly from the yeast. Try http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=127 or http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststr...tail.cfm?ID=65
Next time to get the spicy clove and banana Belgium tastes. Also those yeasts will dry it out more and tolerate the high alcohol.

I start my tripels temp at 68 and work up to about 75*

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS