The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Breweries not to miss in Boise/ID/Yellowstone/WY/MT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
joshuafields
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Breweries not to miss in Boise/ID/Yellowstone/WY/MT

Hey all, I hope this isn't too off topic for this section of the forum. My girlfriend and I are going to be flying to Boise in mid-June, and spending about 10 days looping to Yellowstone and the Tetons and back. I'd like to check out Big Sky, on the big end of things, but would appreciate any other suggestions for breweries/brewpubs that I shouldn't miss. I'm psyched to see this amazing region for the first time!

Thanks for your time!

<edit>: I should note that I did find this map of Yellowstone-area breweries/brewpubs, but don't know anything about these places. To put it slightly bluntly, I guess I'm trying to narrow it down to the best spots.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...8&source=embed

Kegged
Cream Master Cream Ale / Robot Small / Light Cave Wit + oak barrel experiment / new Citra/Amarillo IPA / Robot Small / Bankrupt State Cali Common /

Bottled
Belgian Strong Dark Ale (oak barrel) + brett test / Third Nipple batch 2 / Saison (first one!) / Impaler IIPA / Mickey Rourke Dry Irish Stout / Afterglow Pale Ale / Third Nipple Brooklyn Tripel

Last edited by joshuafields; 05-31-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Kunkemonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm from Billings, but have been living overseas for a while. I've never been to Angry Hanks or Carters, but I've heard they have great beer. Start with Yellowstone Brewery and work your way down to Montana Brewing Co, as the Yellowstone Brewery, Angry Hanks, and Carters don't have a full blown liquor license and only offer "tasting rooms" and close around 8pm. Montana Brewing Co. is a full blown bar, so you end the night there. All the beer from Montana Brewing Co. is great especially the Espresso Porter, my favorite beer in the world, but I believe is only a seasonal beer during the winter.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Malatesta
Recipes 

Snake River Brewing is in Jackson itself and not a bad brewpub at all. Try the Custer's Last Ale.

Grand Teton Brewing Co is about 30 mins outside Jackson and also has some great beers. I'm a fan of the Bitch Creek and Sweetgrass APA.

Enjoy the area. I get up there every chance I get.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Billings - Carters, Mt Brew Co, Angry Hanks all make good beer
Bozeman - Bozeman Brewing Co (aka Bozone)
Helena - Blackfoot River (this is my "local" brewpub, try the IPA for sure. Thursdays they have firkins)
Missoula - Kettlehouse and Bayern (German styles)

I heart sour beer

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
madipop
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sockeye brewing and Highlands Hollow Brewpub are the two in Boise I'd recommend.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'll second Grand Teton Brewing.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
pacebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sweet im camping in yellowstone in about 5 weeks. will make it to some of these for sure.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the western Wyoming area: Snake River Brewing has an absurd amount of awards, the Zonker Stout is amazing especially in the cask. Thai Me Up restaurant has a few pretty extreme beers brewed there. Grand Teton Brewing over the pass into Idaho has great beer as well, Wildlife brewing is over there too in Victor Id. Lander Brewing has some good stuff if you head a little east.

I live in Jackson so if you have questions about anything Teton related let me know!

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
LongArmBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You want to check out BigSky Brewing? You will be in for one heck of a drive from Yellowstone because Missoula isn't even close. It's good but not worth the extra 7 or so hours one way. I would come to visit Kettlehouse or Bayern in Missoula before Bigsky anyway but then again Missoula is my destination when I go to Montana.

Phohibere Ea Quae Historiam Pervertunt

Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
joshuafields
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArmBrewing View Post
You want to check out BigSky Brewing? You will be in for one heck of a drive from Yellowstone because Missoula isn't even close. It's good but not worth the extra 7 or so hours one way. I would come to visit Kettlehouse or Bayern in Missoula before Bigsky anyway but then again Missoula is my destination when I go to Montana.
Well, we're flying into/out of Boise, so we'll probably dip down south in Idaho, come up through Tetons/Jackson, up through Yellowstone, and then back toward Boise arcing northwest and then southwest. I'm not sure that we'll make it to Missoula, but it's a possibility.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent input -- keep it coming!

Kegged
Cream Master Cream Ale / Robot Small / Light Cave Wit + oak barrel experiment / new Citra/Amarillo IPA / Robot Small / Bankrupt State Cali Common /

Bottled
Belgian Strong Dark Ale (oak barrel) + brett test / Third Nipple batch 2 / Saison (first one!) / Impaler IIPA / Mickey Rourke Dry Irish Stout / Afterglow Pale Ale / Third Nipple Brooklyn Tripel

Quick Reply