Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > breweries to check out in San Diego?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Yea, it really depends on where you're staying. Downtown is fairly sparse, but north county (up to an hour plus from downtown) is also rich in breweries. If you're downtown, drive 20m and hit up the Miramar area:

Ballast Point
Green Flash
Alesmith
Karl Strauss
Hess
Rough Draft
Wet 'n Reckless

And Societe just a few exits down the 15

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhanley View Post
Absolutely. The best local brewery you're going to find by far is the Breakwater Brewing Company in Oceanside. Absolutely AMAZING beers, great food and super friendly bar. Not too far of a drive from San Diego proper either.

Breakwater Brewing Company
101 North Coast Highway
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760) 433-6064
Breakwater wouldn't be my first choice. IMO- Alesmith is making the best beer in the country right now, and Green Flash shouldn't be ignored. People really love Societe as well. Alpine's a bit of drive from here, but also has some interesting stuff. Ballast Point has some awesome specialty offerings and one of the biggest beer boards of all the tasting rooms.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For the homebrewer's interest, check out White Labs's tasting room. http://www.whitelabs.com/tasting_room.html

Would definitely recommend Stone, Green Flash, The Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, etc.

Hess Brewing is a small guy that just expanded from 1.5 barrels to 30 barrels and would also be worth a trip if you have time.

Visit my website for the list of beers in progress

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz4121 View Post
For the homebrewer's interest, check out White Labs's tasting room. http://www.whitelabs.com/tasting_room.html

Would definitely recommend Stone, Green Flash, The Lost Abbey, Ballast Point, etc.

Hess Brewing is a small guy that just expanded from 1.5 barrels to 30 barrels and would also be worth a trip if you have time.
Dang it! Every SINGLE time I forget to mention the WL tasting room. Super cool. Hess is neat, but the 30bbl location won't be open for a while. The nano is still an awesome visit though.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
GriFF3n
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz4121 View Post

+1 for this. The WL tasting room was one of my favorite places while in SD. They have the recipe book there so you can actually see what ingredients went into the beer you are drinking. Awesome to see how big a difference yeast makes in a beer as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
HellBound
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts

Port/lost abbey is great. The people there are cool too. Ballast point is always a must. You green flash is great. Huge tap room and really friendly beer tenders.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #17
coosabrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Stone is a must go, amazing place. Only 30 minutes (Cali speeds) from San diego. Also in San Marcos (just west of Escondido) is Sublime, which does not brew there own, but has an incredibly selection of local craft brews, good grub too.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #18
HellBound
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts

Tons of great brew-pubs too. If you're in north county check out churchills. Or Slater 5050 is good too.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
vhanley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Breakwater wouldn't be my first choice. IMO- Alesmith is making the best beer in the country right now, and Green Flash shouldn't be ignored. People really love Societe as well. Alpine's a bit of drive from here, but also has some interesting stuff. Ballast Point has some awesome specialty offerings and one of the biggest beer boards of all the tasting rooms.
I don't know man, I absolutely love Breakwater. I'll have to go by Alesmith next time I'm back home though, haven't been through that one yet, or Ballast Point. Not a fan of Societe personally. Where is Ballast Point?

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
vhanley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosabrew View Post
Stone is a must go, amazing place. Only 30 minutes (Cali speeds) from San diego. Also in San Marcos (just west of Escondido) is Sublime, which does not brew there own, but has an incredibly selection of local craft brews, good grub too.
I always forget to tell people about Sublime Ale House. If you only have time to hit up one place then that actually would be a good way to go as they carry brews from a several different local brewers which would give you a way to try several without being locked into just one.....IF you're short on time of course.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Quick Reply