Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Breweries/bars, bottle shops, and homebrew shops in the Detroit area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Andrewtherooster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Breweries/bars, bottle shops, and homebrew shops in the Detroit area

It looks like I'm going to be spending most of September and October in the Detroit area (most likely Dearborn) for work, and I want some suggestions of places to check out. Bastone, Kuhnhenn and the Ann Arbor Jolly Pumpkin are on the list, but what other places are worth going? Also, any awesome bottle shops or homebrew shops I should check out? Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are plenty of places worth going to. Stop by Adventures In Homebrewing for a good local homebrew shop. Its in Taylor, just south of Dearborn. Ill try to stop back and update this thread with some pubs. I'm on my phone and typing on this thing sux.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn has the best beet selection in the area hands down. I was just there today in fact.

Jolly Pumpkin is a must. Great atmosphere and one of the few places to get Bam Biere on tap. While in Ann Arbor Grizzly Peak, Arbor Brewing and The Blue Tractor are all within a few blocks.

I would also recommend Liberty Street in Plymouth. A very cool place with solid sessionable beers.

If you are still here in the end of October Witch's Hat in South Lyon will be having their grand opening.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Dragonmead usually has 60+ of their own beers on tap, personally they blow Kuhnen's out of the water.

Beerlist.

Depending on which side of town you're going to be hanging in there's a lot of great bottle shops. Several on Mack in the Grosse Pointes. One on Harper between 9 and 10 mile.

Champagnes Wine and Beer Cellar, 7007 Chicago Road in Warren is just down the road from Kuhnen's and has an insane selection of beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Andrewtherooster
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
mkm193
Recipes 

If only Millers bar had a better selection to go with the Burgers. At least the last time I was at Buddy's pizza they served Bells Two Hearted on draft.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

But you do find a lot of surprises here, there's a couple places with awesome beer lists, that are "regular" bar/restaraunts.

The Shore's Inn has over 133 beers.

And the Bath City Bistro in Mt. Clemons, has some of the best pizza and mussels I've ever had, a decent beer list including often Lagunitus on tap, along with Belgian beers, and Feather Bowling.

Another institution for Feather Bowling, Mussels and Belgian beer, in fact the first one in the area is the Cadieux Cafe, on the east side. Though personally I've been swayed towards Bath City due to their great pizza and beer list.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

It's not surprising that the Michigan Masher's are the largest club on here. Not to mentiont that there are more concentrated homebrew shops in the metro detroit area. We have a large beer scene. Lots of micros and a ton of beer festivals (including one in Eastern Market)

As you can see the state is hugely represented, and for Brewpub/micros, between the city and the immediate suburbs there are this many places to go. (Clumped on the lower right side)

Quote:
The one's in bold are in the Detroit Metropolitan Area.

Arbor Brewing Company Pub & Eatery
Arbor Brewing Company-Corner Brewery
Arcadia Brewing Company
Atwater Block BreweryB.O.B's Brewery
BastoneBells Brewery, Inc.
Big Buck Brewery & Steakhouse
Big Rock Chop and Brewhouse
Black Lotus Brewing Company
CJ's Brewing Company
Copper Canyon Brewery
Dark Horse Brewing Co.
Detroit Beer Company
Dragonmead Microbrewery

Fletcher Street Brewing Company
Fort Street Brewery
Founders Brewing Company
Frankenmuth Brewery LLC
Grand Rapids Brewing Co.
Great Baraboo Brewing Co.
Grizzly Peak Brewing Co.
Harper's Restaurant and Brewpub
Hereford & Hops Rest. & Brewpub
Jamesport Brewing Co.
Jasper Ridge Brewery
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Keweenaw Brewing Company
Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.
Lake Superior Brewing Co.
Library Bar & Restaurant
Lily's Seafood and Brewery
Michigan Brewing Co.
Motor City Brewing Works
Mountain Town Station
New Holland Brew Co - Production
New Holland Brewing Company Pub
North Peak Brewing Co.
Old Hat Brewery & Grill
Quay Street Brewing Co.
Red Jacket Brewing Company
Right Brain Brewery
Rochester Mills Beer Co.
Royal Oak Brewery

Saugatuck Brewing Company, Inc.
Schmohz Brewing Company
Sherwood Brewing Company
Short's Brewing Company
Tahquamenon Falls Brewery & Pub
The Hideout Brewing Company
The Livery
The Vierling Restaurant & Marquette Harbor Brewery
Traffic Jam and Snug
Tri-City Brewing Company
Walldorff Brewpub & Bistro
Wiltse's Brew Pub
Woodward Avenue Brewers
And a lot of us get together pretty regularly. We brew together or hit the brewpubs quite a lot. There a half dozen active hombrew clubs (or more) in the metro detroit area. I think there are 8-10 fairly large BJCP contests a year. Plus we're pretty active for both the AHC big brew days with several places hosting event with a ton of folks.

This should give you an idea it's from the one we had in May. It is only 1 of 6 events I knew of that day happening within a 20 minute drive of each other. This one is at cap n cork in macomb, which is about a 30 minute drive from downtown detroit.

Note our HBT logo on the tent

This should give you an idea of the scene, http://www.michiganbrewersguild.org/mag/index.html

Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
mbosco
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Dragonmead usually has 60+ of their own beers on tap, personally they blow Kuhnen's out of the water.

Beerlist.

Champagnes Wine and Beer Cellar, 7007 Chicago Road in Warren is just down the road from Kuhnen's and has an insane selection of beers.
I was going to recommend both of these and Revvy beat me too it. Dragonmead is simply awesome and worth a visit. Great BBQ (lazybones)around the corner you can bring into Dragonmead if you're into it.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbosco View Post
I was going to recommend both of these and Revvy beat me too it. Dragonmead is simply awesome and worth a visit. Great BBQ (lazybones)around the corner you can bring into Dragonmead if you're into it.
I do it all the time, BUT they also deliver to D-mead as well. Actually Dragonmead has a binder with all the food joints that will deliver. BUT Lazybones is the best.

Quick Reply