Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew your own - Social condemnation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
jrodskreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I get it some too. One case in point.

Upon returning from my deployment to Iraq we had a 90 day post deployment health assessment. I told the Physician I drank 2 at night and 5 or 6 on the weekends. Which was the truth. So he put it into his calculator and voila I'm a raging alcoholic (per Army standards). Well needless to say I was set up with counseling. Not only that but my command gave me a nice chewing out for being honest and not giving the standard answer of "none". So, yeah, now I try not to tell many people about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Sounds like the ashat yuppie scum around here. I had the door open one day,& I saw one out on the sidewalk talking into a cell phone. "Yeah,it loks like a meth lab or something!" how in the blue **** does this ho know what a meth lab looks like? Let alone smell like? No noctious chemicals here assclown. No lab equipment. No pill presses. No strange cars coming & going. No serious money being spent on the house that I've earned. ****ing dumbass assclown butt munchers!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Don't hold back bro, tell us how you really feel.

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #34
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
. ****ing dumbass assclown butt munchers!!!!!!!
Nary a week goes by when that very phrase doesn't pass through my head at least once.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Around here, people just say "Wow, that's cool!".
i get what denny said a ton, but i also get a few weary people. Everyone at work knows i brew, there is another gentleman here that brews as well. i just let it slip... if they're going to be uneduated at the situations they are commenting on, they don't need my attention.

"you home brew? must be that dark nasty crap" "you have a kegerator at your house?? you must drink everynight!"
Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #36
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2300 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprdood View Post
Don't hold back bro, tell us how you really feel.
Showdown,you bet...& I haven't even saddled my pony yet! Well,that's how I really do feel about our detractors. Friggin assclowns. They likely have never done a drug in there useless lives,but all of a sudden,they're experts. The worst form of hypocrisey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
Nary a week goes by when that very phrase doesn't pass through my head at least once.
I'm glad it's not just me in a way. I hate it when they look for excuses to hate. It's so pathetic...

Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #37
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 846 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I had a thought knocking around in my head about this. I was at a beer dinner at a local restaurant and the head brewer from the featured brewery was there. He said "It used to be that the only thing you could pair with beer was pizza" and went on to talk about how craft brewing has become so sophisticated that we can make incredible pairings with food.

I bet we could get through to at least some of these nitwits with that kind of talk. "I've carefully crafted a beer recipe that pairs perfectly with my BBQ ribs/secret chili recipe/herb roasted chicken/homemade knackwurst/grilled salmon etc. and the whole family loves it"

Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #38
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Most of the people that now I brew ber think it is great. It is accepted enough that we even have a facebook page for himebrewers in the neighboorhood.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #39
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Around here, people just say "Wow, that's cool!".
Says the guy from Eugene OR. Of course!

Overall I get very mixed responses much like that you mention. If I was making wine, people would understand and think I was sophisticated, since it is beer, the ideology is completely different.

The people who I have had over to see my equipment and actually drink it start to really understand.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #40
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1432 Times on 1310 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The Mr. must have told plenty of people that I've started brewing. My BIL delivers "grain" of some type to a brewery, and says he can get some for me cheap as well as their beer at wholesale prices. Someone else has given up drinking and offered me a wort chiller and an IPA ingredient kit. So I've gotten positive responses so far.

Quick Reply