Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew shops in Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
optaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Brew shops in Indiana

Hey there everybody, I am new to brewing and just started my first kit brew. I was wondering if anybody knew of a decent homebrew shop in south-central Indiana. I am in Bloomington and haven't found anything in the area. Was wondering if anybody knew of any that were worth driving to or if I'm gonna be all online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Tuxedo park brewers is by far the best shop around. Adam works during the week and brent and jason on the weekends. These guys are the best, not stuck up beer snobs like other shops. You show up, feed you their 4 beers on tap, and give you any advice you want. They always have customers brewing saturday so thats the best time to go as there is alot to see and alot of people to talk to.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
GoldenShowerGladiator
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i went to Tuxedo Park Brewers for the first time last month and got some good advice. Great Fermentations is the best if you get the right person. some of those guys are dicks but you can't beat their selection. there's also a small wine/homebrew shop in Knightstown which is East of Greenfield. Dennis runs the place. he doesn't have a ton of beer stuff but will bend over backwards getting whatever it is you need

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Tuxedo opened a year ago, so they are doing excellent for how small they are. The may not have all the fancy shelves with more inventory like great fermentations so i agree with you there but have majority of the things you need. Their customer service and environment supersede anyone else They are looking to expand also so thats a food thing

Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
optaka
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Tuxedo sounds a bit better since I am brand new so I would probably get lost in Great Fermentations. I'll definitely have to check them out next time I'm up in Indy.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm new to brewing also. I drive to Tuxedo Park from plainfield and its worth it. They are very helpful. Have all of what you would need and I'm sure they will get you anything you want that they don't have onsite.I went and spent 5 hours there on a Saturday when they hold FREE brewing class. Great way to learn and get good advise. They don't recommend stuff just to sell it ethier. They will tell you there opinion on the pros and cons and let you decide on what you want. Never been jerks. Always freindly. I highly recommend them and hope to see a small local buisness grow.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
GTaylor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have had good experiences at both, but use Tuxedo more due to closer location. The guys at TPB have always been helpful with advaice and getting some parts that I needed.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'll put my hat in for Great Ferms. Their website is a lot better and their supply is greater. Both are probably important to you since you will be commuting. They are also very active in the local beer scene and have a lot of classes and a monthly homebrewers meeting which is a lot of fun.

But FWIW, I have heard Tuxedo Park is fine, too.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I"ve gone to both places and like them both. I mainly use Great Fermentation because it is closer to my house. The owners of both shops are cool. I'm still surprised Bloomington doesn't have a homebrew shop hahaha

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
optaka
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorocks17 View Post
I"ve gone to both places and like them both. I mainly use Great Fermentation because it is closer to my house. The owners of both shops are cool. I'm still surprised Bloomington doesn't have a homebrew shop hahaha
I know right? It sure seems like a place that would have at least a small homebrew shop.

Quick Reply