Brew room - soliciting ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiav8or

Reaction score
Fellow brewers - I'm looking for your ideas on how to setup my brew room.

I have a room, 24x20, off my shed, dedicated to brewing and wood-working (see pic - although it's closed in now). It's heated (in-floor), I have water available (eventually) and its away from my house (25 steps away) so I can work without having to worry about sounds or smells invading my wife's living space.

So - let me have it - give me your thoughts on how this floor plan could be arranged!

I'm thinking about a semi-permanent brew-stand, preferably electric so I don't have to deal with venting propane from indoors. I have three keggles to work into the system, as well as a large stainless table. March pump order is going in tomorrow - and I've got plenty of square steel around to finish the brew stand.

What space would create given an empty room and a consuming hobby?

:ban:

60846_1506492914964_1613541456_1222671_6183913_n.jpg

Get a really really good venting system. Its extremely important to be able to get that moisture out of the room so it doesn't peel the paint...

Also seal the brew room off from the rest of the wood working area...
If you can make a nice cold room that would be really beneficial so you can Lager and or condition in it.

You have a very large space to work with, so I have a feeling that the only thing stopping you is going to be budget. So good luck with it!

Well here is my brewing section of my garage. I pull the system out while brewing. but I have found the peg board to be great for storing all my various bits and bobs for doing my beer wizardry (shameless Harry Potter reference)

IMGP2556.jpg

IMGP2559.jpg

My first thought was to leave it completely open (no interior walls). Put up lots of shelving/grain bins on the far wall. Arrange your brew rig adjacent to that. Put a bar in the middle, using a large chest freezer as the cold storage. Use the front portion as a social gathering place.

However, I neglected to read the part about woodworking. I wouldn't want to make sawdust and brew in the same room. The extent of your wood shop must be known before I can make any recommendations as to how to split the space. Is it just a collection of hand tools for the occasional birdhouse project, or are you fully outfitted with planers, shapers, mills, lathes, etc? What sort of work will you be doing?

Yuri - great point.

Yes, sawdust might be a problem, but I plan to control it as much as possible by either a) doing 'serious' sanding in an adjacent large area of the building and/or b) using dust collection equipment and/or c) having brew equipment either covered or behind closed, sealed doors.

I have a pretty good collection of woodworking equipment - what am I going to build? everything from canoes and kayaks to picture frames and Adirondack chairs. Having said that, I rarely have time to build anything (kids + work) these days so my use of the room will likely be mostly 'brewing only' for the next few years.

I do not want to divide the space.

Thanks for the tips - love the peg board and also the presentations - thanks!

Subscribed...I don't have a brew room, but one thing I hope you make sure to have is a window for that beautiful view!!!!!

That said...I'd love an electric indoor setup one day!!

Good luck!

big open space ain't-nt gunna do it.
*(cabinetmaker, boatbuilder)
easy does it! da dust DO linger!
hey- think of only VARNISHING in a shop. and what goes into dropping da dust out of the air, including spraying water vapor to drop the last little NASTIES out!
and that's for a PETROLEUM based product!

have fun, but be careful.

I guess I should have looked at the post dates, too. Being an architect, I was about to start drawings plans. Hahaa

big open space ain't-nt gunna do it.
*(cabinetmaker, boatbuilder)
easy does it! da dust DO linger!
hey- think of only VARNISHING in a shop. and what goes into dropping da dust out of the air, including spraying water vapor to drop the last little NASTIES out!
and that's for a PETROLEUM based product!

have fun, but be careful.

Leave it to a drunk brewmonk to dig up an old thread

Latest posts

Back