Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Room Mostly Done - 1st Batch Today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default My New Brew Room

So I've been working on a brew room in my basement for the past 3 months. I brewed one batch on the stove upstairs (my first batch back in July) and decided it was time for my own room with all the conveniences. It's about 9'x17' in size

I found some awesome deals on Craigslist: huge SS wash tub for $110, a 24"x48" stainless steel table for $70 and a stainless steel range hood for $40. Those along with the fairly new full-size refridgerator for FREE (future kegerator); and a mini-fridge for $25. These things got me really motivated. I love CL.

I then framed in the room, ran all wiring, did the plumbing for the wash tub, ran gas pipe from a line that was already running through the ceiling, put up drywall (unfinished so far), put in speakers, ran cable (for future TV), put in a volume knob, built a fermentation chamber, and purchased a few other goodies to make the entire process a little smoother and more precise.

2010-10-11-09.41.02.jpg   2010-10-11-09.41.40.jpg   2010-11-16-08.33.43.jpg   2010-11-16-08.34.17.jpg   2010-11-16-08.35.34.jpg  

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well today I finally used it all and brewed my first beer. I must say that it went very smoothly and hope for great results in a few weeks. My first two beers had some major flavor issues, which I believe that came from a hot ferment and various temperature fluctuations in the basement. I had a hard time controlling these things before, but hopefully that is all behind me.

It's a 3-tier system, but I reuse some parts. I have my 5 gal. kettle up on the Blichmann burner with the legs on top of the table used as a HLT. Then while it's mashing, I move the Blichmann burner down to the ground so I can drain the wort into my 15 gal. kettle. Once my boil is complete I pump the wort (chugger pump) into the bucket through a 30-plate chiller w/thermomonitor to ensure a good cooldown. Then the bucket goes in the fermentation chamber (which is controlled by my ebay aquarium temp. controller).

Several hundred dollars later and I'm happy with the way it turned out and everything seemed to work very well today. I'm sure I will probably continue to tweak things as I see fit and maybe add some paint and tile at a later time.

2010-11-16-09.55.01.jpg   2010-11-16-11.41.27.jpg   2010-11-16-11.42.29.jpg   2010-11-16-11.41.56.jpg   2010-11-16-15.28.00.jpg  

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--

Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

right on

-=Jason=-

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Volume knob for audio control and future flat panel site so I don't miss any sports. Also a hidden storage compartment behind the door which covers the power panel (holds tools, spare parts, etc.) and a fermentation chamber that can hold about 5 buckets at once.

2010-11-16-08.35.24.jpg   2010-11-16-08.35.04.jpg   2010-11-16-08.34.32.jpg  

Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Wow that's a pretty sweet setup. Pretty new to brewing myself but alas Craigslist hasn't been that helpful yet. I keep checking so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Anyway looks great, good luck on the rest of it!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

dude, i'm coveting....that is all

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates!
www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is awesome !

Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Hartski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, you must have a ton of money wrapped up in that setup!

Addicted to golf

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

All said and done, I'd say less than $2,000 for everything (which includes a 4-keg system not shown), but many of my own hours to get it this way.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Hartski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, time involved often is morethan actual money invested. I know my cars have been that way.

Addicted to golf

Quick Reply