Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Pub Recommendations - New Orleans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
MEPNew2Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew Pub Recommendations - New Orleans

I will be heading to New Orleans for business. Does anyone have any recommendations for Brew Pubs to visit while there?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
amcgowen
Recipes 

I really like Abita's Jackamo IPA but I've never been there and don't know how close it is to NOLA. Hope the trip goes well as you find some good brew.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
McMalty
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgowen View Post
I really like Abita's Jackamo IPA but I've never been there and don't know how close it is to NOLA. Hope the trip goes well as you find some good brew.
Abita is at least 45-1hr away, on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. If you are driving, it may be worth it, otherwise i dunno. Dixie Brewing is in NOLA....or at least it was until Katrina....when it got looted and everything was stolen....don't know if it's still there, i know they still make beer tho. One would think given it's reputation for drinking, NOLA would be a hot bed for craft brews, but it's just not really...

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Crescent City Brewery is in the Quarter on Decatur street and there is a Gordon Biersch on Poydras by the River Walk

http://www.crescentcitybrewhouse.com/beer.html

http://www.gordonbiersch.com/beer/hand-crafted-beers

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Abita is really not that good IMO. NOLA does free tours on Friday. I highly suggest it. Avenue pub is great for beer and if you wants place with food go to the bulldog. Their buffalo chicken sandwiches AWESOME! It's on a jalapeño cheese bun too. The beer scene is improving here, it nothing to write home about sadly.

Oh and jockamo is terrible IMO. Their restoration pale ale is one of their best. Also their vanilla double dog is pretty good. Dixie could be great but sadly is pretty terrible. If you want a local store to get a stash go to stein's deli.

I've sadly never been to crescent city brew house but Gordon biersch's beers are good. I love their bocks and pilsner. It's not a local place though. I know many who love their food but my only experience there wasn't great.

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was in NO a couple years ago and stopped by Crescent City. Their brewer is German, and it shows: had a great pilsner, had an IPA that tasted like an owner told his German brewer, "Can't you please just finally make an American IPA?" and he grudgingly did so. It was fine technically, just didn't pop and was pretty restrained. But overall good beer there.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you are looking for just a great beer bar go to the Bulldog and if you are looking for a gastropub. Go to the Chimes in Covington. Over 80 taps at both places and the food and the view of the river at chimes are great.

I think you'll be disappointed with the brewpubs and breweries here. I live in Louisiana and all of them ( especially Abita) just make mediocre run of the mill stuff. I've never been impressed by any except for NOLA brewing company. Their brown ale and their IPA are actually pretty good.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
MEPNew2Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies and the tips. Will be travelling to NOLA for work (convention). So, not sure how much time I will have to hit local brew pubs.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Haven't been since Katrina, so not sure how things are now, but DBA is still there and is great for belgium beers and high end sprits, esp rhum and burbon. Copter Browns use to have a great beer selection. Though as much as I love beer when in New Orleans, I find it's better to stick to a cocktail

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Definitely the pub in the Avenue!

Best brew pub almost anywhere!