Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew on Premises Laws??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
That's true. I am starting to think about this as more of an "informal" deal...not so much as a business. Just glad to know I wouldn't be breaking any laws.
Not any alcohol-related laws...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
That's true. I am starting to think about this as more of an "informal" deal...not so much as a business. Just glad to know I wouldn't be breaking any laws.
see, this is where its gets dicey. A licensed BOP retail establishment and an "informal" garage deal are 2 different things.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
The locals can still bust you for operating a business in a residence without a business license or proper zoning. The chances of that happening depend primarily on whether or not your neighbors start complaining about it.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
The locals can still bust you for operating a business in a residence without a business license or proper zoning. The chances of that happening depend primarily on whether or not your neighbors start complaining about it.
True...but my neighbors are all well aware of my brewing habits. In fact most of them come to our beer tasting parties. I am really just looking to cover myself. As I said people approach me all the time to brew for them. This gives me a way to make it worth while for myself while still following the ABC and TTB regulations regarding homebrewing.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yeah, I wouldn't expect you'll run into problems with it, just thought I'd throw that out there. Code enforcement can be a lot more proactive when neighbors start complaining.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
BOP is expensive though compared to homebrewing. A 15 gal extract batch runs about $200, not including bottles.
$200 for 15 gallons comes to $67 for 5 gallons. If you consider the cost of equipment, it's not terribly expensive. I brew partial mash and most of my beers are $25-40 for 5 gallons. I know some brewers can go as low as $10/batch, but they aren't including the cost of equipment. The equipment not only includes one-time purchases that can distributed over the cost of subsequent batches, but also wear and tear items such as tubing, gaskets, batteries, hydrometers, finings, cleaners, and sanitizers.

If the brew on premises facilities include cleaning labor, that certainly makes considering it worthwhile.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
$200 for 15 gallons comes to $67 for 5 gallons. If you consider the cost of equipment, it's not terribly expensive. I brew partial mash and most of my beers are $25-40 for 5 gallons. I know some brewers can go as low as $10/batch, but they aren't including the cost of equipment. The equipment not only includes one-time purchases that can distributed over the cost of subsequent batches, but also wear and tear items such as tubing, gaskets, batteries, hydrometers, finings, cleaners, and sanitizers.

If the brew on premises facilities include cleaning labor, that certainly makes considering it worthwhile.
Indeed....it's $200 and up of course, and it includes materials, fermentation, filtering, carbonation, and bottling equipment. You provide / buy bottles (which they are very fair at, $8 /case for new bombers). They also clean the kettles and fermenters. The kettles they use are really pro, copper steam heated kettles, real pretty stuff. They ferment into 15gal plastic casks, and keg it and chill it for bottling. They buy bulk extracts in barrels so they save there I'm sure. Www.brewapp.com is their site. I learned quite a bit there, and the beer is excellent.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ludomonster your beer names in your sig kickass...I giggled.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #29
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post

Thanks for the pricing! My plan was to offer 10 gallons of all grain homebrew, kegged, with a jockey box for around 100 bucks...maybe a little bit more. It all depends on how much "sweat equity" they are willing to put into it. Obviously with a BOP the customer has to do some of the brewing work.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #30
cwdrake
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I could be wrong here, but all of the BOP places I know of require the customer to do ALL of the brewing work, maybe with the exception of cleaning/sanitation. I think once the BOP starts working with ANY of the brewing process, they legally are considered a brewery and have to follow all laws as such including licensing regulations, distribution and sales laws, as well as any beer/alcohol taxes.

Quick Reply