Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew on Premises Laws??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just don't try doing it here in my backasswards state. I still have to tip-toe around my hobby in certain company. Thankfully, my neighbor makes wine, so we watch each other's backs.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Thanks for all the responses!! I have contacted the ABC and a brew on premise store (BrewBakers) and am awaiting a response. Here is my situation....I am often asked to brew beer for other's special events( parties, charity functions, etc). I love doing it but it does take quite a bit of my time and money. Obviously I know that I can't sell it so let's not even go there!! It would seem that as long as there aren't any special licenses/permits involved I could have a brew on premise operation. This would allow me to charge for the use of my equipment, supplies, time, etc....and still stay within the law. They would have to help in the brew process( pitch yeast) to also stay legal.
This sounds a bit suspect, almost like you're running a business renting out your equipment - might wanna think twice about this one; if might be classified as a hobby if you only make a little money off of it, like selling cabinets on the weekends, or it may be a business due to the profits; would have to talk to a lawyer about the difference.

That, and you might piss people off for charging them to use your equipment and then their beer doesn't come out right because they screwed something up.

A better idea might be to ask to be reimbursed the cost of materials (not time though) - nothing really wrong with that if you don't make any profit

Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro

This sounds a bit suspect, almost like you're running a business renting out your equipment - might wanna think twice about this one; if might be classified as a hobby if you only make a little money off of it, like selling cabinets on the weekends, or it may be a business due to the profits; would have to talk to a lawyer about the difference.

That, and you might piss people off for charging them to use your equipment and then their beer doesn't come out right because they screwed something up.

A better idea might be to ask to be reimbursed the cost of materials (not time though) - nothing really wrong with that if you don't make any profit
You just explained precisely the business concept of a brew on premises. You rent their equipment and buy the materials. It's a viable (and growing) business concept.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post

Well it would in fact technically be a business. The Brew On Premise operations are essentially renting out their equipment to others who don't have the necessary equipment. I am curious as to what needs to happen legally, if anything, to have a Brew on Premise operation. As far as the possibility of brewing up bad beer....all they have to do is pitch the yeast. If the beer comes out bad..it would be my fault.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #15
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort View Post
Just don't try doing it here in my backasswards state. I still have to tip-toe around my hobby in certain company. Thankfully, my neighbor makes wine, so we watch each other's backs.
there are plenty of people brewing in your backasswards state. don't ask me how I know.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #16
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBentley57 View Post
there are plenty of people brewing in your backasswards state. don't ask me how I know.
I have no idea what you're talking about. No one brews here. No one. And pay no attention to my signature, I'm just trying to blend in.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #17
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Well it would in fact technically be a business. The Brew On Premise operations are essentially renting out their equipment to others who don't have the necessary equipment. I am curious as to what needs to happen legally, if anything, to have a Brew on Premise operation. As far as the possibility of brewing up bad beer....all they have to do is pitch the yeast. If the beer comes out bad..it would be my fault.
Taxes, regulations, business licenses . . . you can just ask your local Chamber of Commerce what's needed; they should let you know what's needed to start a business.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
Phunhog
Recipes 

I heard back from the CA ABC. There are no special regulations/licenses needed to operate a BOP in CA. They consider it a type of homebrewing and all homebrewing laws would apply. So it would appear that it would be perfectly legal for a homebrewer to charge a fee for equipment, supplies, labor, etc...in the production of beer. Provided of course that the customer helps "brew" the beer. Of course there is nothing in the text of the law that constitutes exactly what "brewing" entails.....

Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 13

One additional problem might be in getting the local business license. You might need a location zoned for business, not a residence.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
One additional problem might be in getting the local business license. You might need a location zoned for business, not a residence.
That's true. I am starting to think about this as more of an "informal" deal...not so much as a business. Just glad to know I wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Quick Reply